Address Unknown

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
chrisrussell

Address Unknown

Post by chrisrussell »

How do I forward the records of members who have left the area without any forwarding address or means of being located? Extensive search efforts have been made.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Admin note: the title was changed to reflect the question.

Do a move-out in MLS. You'll see the option. Note that you'll need to have the Bishop's approval before doing it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The procedure in MLS is to select Membership > Move Household Record Out then the head of household name. On the Address tab select No for "Is the new address known?". A pop-up will be displayed with steps for finding a member address. After pressing the continue button another pop-up dialogue will appear asking if the bishop has approved moving the household without an address. The procedure for an individual is the same only Membership > Move Individual Record Out will be selected.

There are two wiki articles to view before doing this. The first is "Moving membership records". The second is "Locating members".
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jhigbee

Post by jhigbee »

While you're on this thread, does anyone associated with Membership Dept know off hand about how many records are in the Address Unknown file of the Church?
I commend all clerks who try extensively to find the forwarding addresses of members who've moved out of their ward (there are many avenues for doing so with varying success); but I know many times we just can't find someone who doesn't want to be found.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jhigbee wrote:While you're on this thread, does anyone associated with Membership Dept know off hand about how many records are in the Address Unknown file of the Church?
I commend all clerks who try extensively to find the forwarding addresses of members who've moved out of their ward (there are many avenues for doing so with varying success); but I know many times we just can't find someone who doesn't want to be found.

While this number is not generally given out, there are enough that the Church has full-time employees and senior missionaries working to visit with relatives and use other means of locating these members.

As you say, it is a great help when the ward has done all they can to at least make certain the member is no longer in the local area.
algon8364j

Re: Address Unknown

Post by algon8364j »

how do i recall members record that is in address unknown
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Address Unknown

Post by russellhltn »

algon8364j wrote:how do i recall members record that is in address unknown
The same as a move-in from another ward. The system doesn't care if it's in address unknown.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”