How to Share a MS PowerPoint presentation while we are broadcasting...

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
rdmenendez

How to Share a MS PowerPoint presentation while we are broadcasting...

Post by rdmenendez »

We are going to use this tool this weekend, but the speaker for this FPE Fireside will present a powerpoint file during his talk, how can we share the presentation by this tool? Because if we do it by the simple camera maybe we are going to lose quality in the image of slides.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Let me see if I understand your question correctly. Do you want to send a PowerPoint presentation from a laptop to another device such as a TV or Webcast Communicator?

If so, you can convert the VGA monitor output (15 pin) of a laptop to standard video (composite or S-video) by using a Scan Converter. These relatively inexpensive devices can be found on eBay (see http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=vga+to+video+scan+converter for examples).

A scan converter takes the laptop's VGA output and converts it to standard composite video which can then be connected directly to a TV or Webcast Communitcator composite video (yellow) input, S-Video input, or other video device, resulting in a much higher quality picture than by just using a camera pointed to a screen.

To switch from your video camera feed to the scan converter's feed, you can use a video switch (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=video+switch&_sacat=See-All-Categories) or video mixer (preferred see: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=videonics+mx-1&_sacat=0&_odkw=mx-1&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313)
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

This discussion is very timely for me. I have one other question though -- my laptop has both an s-video and a VGA output. Does anyone know if it is possible to use both at the same time? I was hoping this would eliminate the need for a scan converter, but I played with it a bit last night and couldn't get it to work.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

You probbaly can, but it will require setting all 3 displays (Laptop Screen, VGA Out and S-Video Out) to 480i resolution (~640x480) which may look odd on a projector.

Aaron Z
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks, yeah, that wouldn't look that great on the main screen.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

The ability to use multiple video outputs from your laptop depends on the laptop and associated display drivers.

A quick, easy solution would be to use a video distribution amplifier. There are several advantages to using one...1) the memory of the laptop's video can be utilized higher resolution because it is running less displays, 2) most distribution amplifiers have 3 outputs so a monitor, projector and building can easily be connected, 3) some units amplify composite video as well as S-Video (either S-Video or composite input and double the number of outputs). These can usually be purchased from $10 to $30 (see http://www.amazon.com/Composite-S-Video-Distribution-Amplifier-Splitter/dp/B003CMDGJK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1313983846&sr=8-2.)
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

I have a VDA but it only has composite and s-video; I'll have to look for others. Thanks.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
BlakeHendriksen

Scan Converter

Post by BlakeHendriksen »

Hello, I work for a company that does a lot of Audio Video work for the church, in meeting houses, and even in buildings like the conference center, etc...
Scan Converter are not relatively inexpensive as someone previously posted. The cheap ones are inexpensive, but if you want one that will look really good, and not have any scrolling lines, you can easily spend from $800-$2000. These are the ones that are being put into new stake centers.
http://www.extron.com/product/product.a ... vsc500&s=5

Also you do NOT need to make the computers resolution 640x480, most scan converters will accept 1024x768 which is a 4x3 aspect ratio, some will do higher resolutions as well but be mindful of how small the font is, as well as the aspect ratio as a scan converter will NOT change aspect ratio.
-Blake H
Professional Audio Video Technician
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

craiggsmith wrote:This discussion is very timely for me. I have one other question though -- my laptop has both an s-video and a VGA output. Does anyone know if it is possible to use both at the same time? I was hoping this would eliminate the need for a scan converter, but I played with it a bit last night and couldn't get it to work.

Craig, I have a laptop that has S-video, VGA and the main monitor. I can only use two of the three screens at any one time. However, I have use the S-video out to put pictures to a VCR and it has worked like a champ. The one issue that I see is getting the presentation on to the screen.

I guess that is we have an "old" stake center, we would have to purchase the scan converter?
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

BTW, I have found that connecting the laptop to the scan converter and then connecting the scan converter to the projector has resulted in a loss of picture quality on the projector.

I found that connecting from the computer to the projector (VGA) and using the monitor out jack (VGA) on the back of the projector to connect to the scan converter results in a picture that looks very good and has no scrolling lines.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”