Leadership directory

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
wa7jos

Leadership directory

Post by wa7jos »

The Website obviously talks to MLS to update memberships. Why does it not also import the leadership directory? Besides being time consuming, tedious, and a make-work project, it isn't necessary. Also, any time there are two lists of anything, they are probably BOTH wrong. This information already passes from Ward MLS to Stake MLS. Can we complete the loop to the Website directory?
ShellineSE

Post by ShellineSE »

wa7jos wrote:The Website obviously talks to MLS to update memberships. Why does it not also import the leadership directory? Besides being time consuming, tedious, and a make-work project, it isn't necessary. Also, any time there are two lists of anything, they are probably BOTH wrong. This information already passes from Ward MLS to Stake MLS. Can we complete the loop to the Website directory?
MLS data does feed into CMIS, which is where LUWS gets its membership data. However, CMIS does not currently capture the leadership data provided by MLS, so it isn't available to LUWS. This is likely to be fixed when LUWS is updated, but no date for that has been set.
greenwoodkl

Pictures and Email in Leadership Directory

Post by greenwoodkl »

Some thoughts:

1. Could the pictures from the membership directory be viewed in the leadership directory so we can put faces with callings?

2. Could the email options under the leadership directory be changed? I may want to email the presidency of an auxiliary, not every person with a calling in that organization... It particularly gets troublesome when you go to the "Other" section. Some more granularity or customization would be a welcome change someday. :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kgthunder wrote:1. Could the pictures from the membership directory be viewed in the leadership directory so we can put faces with callings?
Keep in mind that at this point the photos are of families, not individuals. Personally, I'd like to see the option of having individual photos as well just for leadership directories.
brannonking

Awesome. Let's put in tithing records in too.

Post by brannonking »

wa7jos wrote:The Website obviously talks to MLS to update memberships. Why does it not also import the leadership directory?
kgthunder wrote: 1. Could the pictures from the membership directory be viewed in the leadership directory so we can put faces with callings? 2. Could the email options under the leadership directory be changed? I may want to email the presidency of an auxiliary, not every person with a calling in that organization... It particularly gets troublesome when you go to the "Other" section. Some more granularity or customization would be a welcome change someday. :)
RussellHltn wrote:Keep in mind that at this point the photos are of families, not individuals. Personally, I'd like to see the option of having individual photos as well just for leadership directories.
All I can say is genius. I'm all for it. I want to see my tithing record and set up an auto-withdrawal for tithing and fast-offerings.

As a side note, the church has struggled for years with unified databases. The problem is too much money. It was a huge problem when I worked at Ricks College. One dept. would say do it this way, another that way. The head was a religious leader who was clueless as to which party was right. He would say do it both ways. So for years dual systems would be developed to the point that a merge was a huge pain.
AileneRHerrick

Post by AileneRHerrick »

kgthunder wrote:Could the pictures from the membership directory be viewed in the leadership directory so we can put faces with callings?

Another idea regarding photographs, is to have a means where people can submit their photograph to the webmaster via the website.
tlrogers

Post by tlrogers »

shellinese wrote:MLS data does feed into CMIS, which is where LUWS gets its membership data. However, CMIS does not currently capture the leadership data provided by MLS, so it isn't available to LUWS. This is likely to be fixed when LUWS is updated, but no date for that has been set.
Why don't we allow MLS to feed CMIS (simply callings, home teachers, etc). It seems as though we could easily push data as well as pull it. It would save hours and hours of service time that could be much better than on the web at home...Let's maintain everything in one place (at church) and publish it globally (whether on the web or elsewhere).

Seems like this would be better than building a whole new maintenance web application for callings and home teaching... use what is already there and working and simply report it on the web.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

tlrogers wrote:Why don't we allow MLS to feed CMIS (simply callings, home teachers, etc). It seems as though we could easily push data as well as pull it. It would save hours and hours of service time that could be much better than on the web at home...Let's maintain everything in one place (at church) and publish it globally (whether on the web or elsewhere).

Seems like this would be better than building a whole new maintenance web application for callings and home teaching... use what is already there and working and simply report it on the web.

I don't know about callings data specifically, but my understanding with regard to home-teaching data is that the roadblock is in the back-end systems at CHQ that interface to CMIS.

Solving that integration problem apparently is not easy or inexpensive, so the lack of integration threatens a partial crippling of MLS if the new home teaching app is built under current plans. The most compelling reason to build that system is not publishing on the web, but grass-roots data-collection via the web, which would be most useful if the integration worked in the other direction and propagated data back to MLS. With callings information, I think the more important need is what you suggest -- propagating callings data from MLS upstream to the central sytems.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”