Google Maps gone - only Bing now?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
davesudweeks

Google Maps gone - only Bing now?

Post by davesudweeks »

I noticed last night and again today. When I log into LDS.org and go to the Maps function, Bing map is shown and Google map is not an option to select. I send a feedback note from the main site as I could not find a feedback link from the Maps page. Is it just me or has Google Maps been removed?

I do not care for the Bing map.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

davesudweeks wrote:Is it just me or has Google Maps been removed?

I do not care for the Bing map.

It's not just you -- I can't see any Google maps either. The only options when I try to change the map type are the four Bing options (Road, Aerial, Hybrid, and Shaded) -- there are no Google options today.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

davesudweeks wrote:I do not care for the Bing map.
Just out of curiousity, what is it that you do not care for? What is different? I don't have a point of comparison since I seldom used the previous map using Google.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

jdlessley wrote:Just out of curiousity, what is it that you do not care for? What is different? I don't have a point of comparison since I seldom used the previous map using Google.
Well for my ward the Bing maps have old images which don't even have the houses showing. While the google maps had all the houses, so I could place all the families easily.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

JonesRK wrote:Well for my ward the Bing maps have old images which don't even have the houses showing.
That does make it extremely difficult to verify a household location only using the street view. The aerial and hybrid view do help for most situations though.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

jdlessley wrote:
JonesRK wrote:Well for my ward the Bing maps have old images which don't even have the houses showing. While the google maps had all the houses, so I could place all the families easily.
That does make it extremely difficult to verify a household location only using the street view. The aerial and hybrid view do help for most sitations though.
I was using the aerial view. and the subdivision streets are just dirt tracks where the construction workers have started building them. I can't tell which house sits where. The hybrid view is slightly better, since it does overlay the road, but I've still got to pick from a big dirt field.

Fortunately for me I already have them all mapped, but when anyone else moves in it will be a pain to get them in the right location.
nathan.g

Post by nathan.g »

Please bring back Google Maps option as this is far superior for us than the Bing maps if this is possible. Google Maps is more detailed in our area by a long shot which makes things so much easier when verifying houses.
DGMortensen

Post by DGMortensen »

I have been very impressed that both options are available. I switch back and forth between them both frequently depending on my needs. They get updated aerials on different schedules. One feature I use frequently use in Google is that the lot lines (at least in Austin Texas) show up in the map view. I can look up an address on the county appraisal district map and know which lot it is and then match the lot to the Google map. If I had to choose only one, I would choose Google.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The best chance to get your concerns before those who can do anything about this is to use the Submit Feedback link on LDS.org.
JD Lessley
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

jdlessley wrote:Just out of curiousity, what is it that you do not care for? What is different? I don't have a point of comparison since I seldom used the previous map using Google.

For us here in NE Oklahoma, the Google maps are more detailed and crisper, allowing me to zoom in closer to spot specific homes easier without having to drive around. Our ward boundaries are not nearly as large some wards I have lived in, but are large enough to be a burdon verify from the car. I did use Bing on occasion - there have been RARE instances where it seemed to be better than Google for address accuracy, though just as many or more instances where it was less accurate than Google.

I did post my feedback on LDS.org, but have not had a reply (though I know they are swamped so I don't expect a response in any short timeframe). Having both available is the perfect solution for me, though I know the church cannot change the mapping function just for one or two individuals.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”