New PTZ software available for Sony EVI-D70

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
lpuster

New PTZ software available for Sony EVI-D70

Post by lpuster »

I have written a Windows application called EVI-D70 Commander for controlling the Sony camera using mouse and keyboard via serial port and PTZ cable.

Download from: http://www.cwshop.com/LDSSoftware

Let me know what you think.

Louis.
quintonrhq

Post by quintonrhq »

This is a very handy piece of software. It has the ability to jog the camera which is a real problem with the Sony demonstration software. The program is easy to install and has a small CPU demand. The screen real estate is likewise modest.
An inexpensive video to USB convertor from Bestlinknetware.com for $20 allows me to replace a separate video monitor and place the image on the controlling PC screen.
jimbo3san

Thank You!

Post by jimbo3san »

Louis,

We had our stake conference today (13FEB2011). We webcast to two other remote sites. In the past when we received the D70 camera from church headquarters we would simply use the remote control that came with it to control the camera.

This time we downloaded and used your software app. Amazing difference in the ability to control the P&T functions. We really liked the titling ability too, as limited as it was. This was a great addition to the webcast.

Thank you for taking time to write this app and more importantly, share with others. It certainly made my job ("cameraman") so much easier.

Sincerely,

Jim Bernardi
jimbo3san@gmail.com
Lehi, UT
Melmac

Post by Melmac »

We just finished our first webcast. With the assistance of all the information here in the forum, the webcast was a success. We broadcasted to 3 other buildings each with 2 projectors. I was able to obtain 2 EVI-D70 cameras brand new off of Ebay for under $500.00 each. I was also able to get a video mixer as suggested in the forum. We did spend a little more than I wanted to onbaluns that were used, Video, S-Video,Control and power, but it was worth it.

One bit of information that I would like to pass on was theuse of a USB Shuttle Pro and the PTZcontroller software to remotely control the cameras. This worked like a champ with the ability to program all 6 presets, camera selection and up, down, zoom in,zoom out and jog wheel for panning ability. Cost wise on the software and the Shuttle Pro a lot less than any remotecontrol, you might want to take a look at it.
quintonrhq

Post by quintonrhq »

A recent area training broadcast in the evening highlighted the need to adjust the white balance. The Commander PTZ software allows for macro files. The file WhiteBalanceOnePush.d70 was created in the directory of the executable file with a one line entry "81 01 04 35 03 FF white balance one push WB mode". You must place a white card in front of the camera that receives the same light as the subject and execute the command. The same thing can be done with the Sony demo software.
The different options are explained on page 8 of the Sony EV-D70 manual.
jimbo3san

Upcoming Conference, we have 2 D70s this time

Post by jimbo3san »

I have a couple of questions regarding a multi-camera (2 in our case) setup: We have 2 D70s on their way this time from HQ to do different shots, etc. They are also sending a switch and a captioning device too. My question is two parts: I want to use the control software that lpuster has created to control both. Since I don't have access to the cameras until they arrive about 2 days before the conference I am not able to "tinker" with the software (the app will close if it doesn't find a camera) until they arrive.

1) Does this software have the ability to control multiple cameras inside one session? Or, do I need to have two controllers (PCs/laptops) and the control software running on each?

2)
What kind of control cable does this require? Will RS232 work or does it need to be the RS422 interface due to the distance (we are planning on controlling them from the utility room where the sat. eq. is located? I understand that RS232 is limited to 50' and RS422 will go 3600' because it is balanced (voltage wise).

Thanks,

Jim B.
Lehi, UT
Jimbo3san@netzero.com
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jimbo3san wrote:What kind of control cable does this require? Will RS232 work or does it need to be the RS422 interface due to the distance (we are planning on controlling them from the utility room where the sat. eq. is located? I understand that RS232 is limited to 50' and RS422 will go 3600' because it is balanced (voltage wise).

Unless you hear from someone with experience with this model, I'd plan on using the 422. It appears you don't have the luxury of testing 232 ahead of time to make sure it would work and that it's reliable.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

quintonrhq wrote:A recent area training broadcast in the evening highlighted the need to adjust the white balance. The Commander PTZ software allows for macro files. The file WhiteBalanceOnePush.d70 was created in the directory of the executable file with a one line entry "81 01 04 35 03 FF white balance one push WB mode". You must place a white card in front of the camera that receives the same light as the subject and execute the command. The same thing can be done with the Sony demo software.
The different options are explained on page 8 of the Sony EV-D70 manual.
Did I read this correctly... there was area training on conducting broadcasts? wow... how do we get on the list for one of those? Was it recorded... can it be viewed somewhere?
troywo

Post by troywo »

I am not aware of training on this - I think they are saying they found the need to adjust the white balance on a broadcast they were doing.
T.
miken2av

Post by miken2av »

The EVI-D70 Commander software worked great for us. Picked up a 30' Visca PTZ Control Cable on ebay. My laptop doesn't have seial port so used a usb to serial cable. My laptop found the usb to serial device but put it on com9. I just went in and changed the port to com1. Worked great! Love the presets. Also the fact that when you use the presets it mutes the video temporarily so you don't make everyone "zoom sick".

Being able to add some text on the screen is a nice touch also.

We broadcast to 8 locations. Everything went pretty well except for some audio issues I mentioned in another thread.

Thanks Louis for taking the time to make this app.

Michael Holland
Birmingham AL.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”