Identifying events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
winnj100

Identifying events

Post by winnj100 »

I am new in updating the calendar, so excuse me if this is already available and I haven't figured it out yet. There do not seem to be enough options to identify events. For example, there is a Ward Activities 'color' - but not Stake Activities 'color'. There is no option for Sunday School. I'm sure there are options specific to each ward. Is this available or will it be available? Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

winnj100 wrote:I am new in updating the calendar, so excuse me if this is already available and I haven't figured it out yet. There do not seem to be enough options to identify events. For example, there is a Ward Activities 'color' - but not Stake Activities 'color'. There is no option for Sunday School. I'm sure there are options specific to each ward. Is this available or will it be available? Thanks.
I think what you are referring to as "colors" are really just "calendars". Each ward and each stake can define as many calendars as they would like. Each calendar is displayed with a different color. So it sounds like your ward has chosen to have a "Ward Activities" calendar, but not a "Sunday School" calendar. If you have concerns, you should find out who is the calendar administrator for your ward. The bishopric, ward executive secretary, and clerks could all function as a calendar administrator, but most wards choose one person to be the main coordinator for the calendar. That person will probably know why the ward has chosen the set of calendars they are using.

If there's a good reason for a "Sunday School" calendar or some other calendar, he could add a new calendar. But there are pros and cons to having more calendars. Similarly, the stake will have a calendar coordinator who could help you understand why there is not currently a "Stake Activities" calendar. Note also that you might need to check which calendars you are subscribed to (under Options, choose Select Subscriptions) -- calendars may exist, but if you haven't subscribed to them you won't see them.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

As aebrown stated the availability of calendars is up to those who create them. Typically each organization will create calendars related to their needs. Users can then display a customized calendar from public stake/district calendars and public ward/branch calendars by subscribing to those calendars of interest to them. The default subscribe/unsubscribe setting for a new calendar is set to subscribe. So a user must unsubscribe those calendars in which they have no interest. Additionally a user can choose to display or hide a calendar in which they have subscribed by checking or unchecking the calendar name in the Subscribed Calendars list on the main calendar page.

The colors for each calendar is a personal setting. Each calendar can have one of 42 colors selected by the user. When a calendar is created a color is assigned by the system. But each user can change that color to meet their personal desires. This is done by clicking Options > Select Subscriptions and then clicking the color box for the calendar. Personally I color related calendars the same for easier identification. For example I use the same color for all stake administrative calendars, the same color for all stake activities type calendars, the same color for all ward youth calendars, and so on. It is all personal preference.

More information is available by clicking the calendar Help button.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

winnj100 wrote:I am new in updating the calendar, so excuse me if this is already available and I haven't figured it out yet.
I think you are noticing that each new calendar user must customize their calendar to create an organized view out of what some have described as "calendar of chaos."
As JDlessley explained, each calendar color display is configurable by each user.

To organize your calendar: Start by subscribing and unsubscribing to only those calendars you need to see. Then group associated calendars by similar color as JDlessley does, to help categorize your events. All 16 of my stake calendars are orange! If I need to further define which calendar an event is on, I toggle on/off the calendars I'm viewing (right hand side.) I suspect with the new promised calendar update, some of this "organization" may become easier.
winnj100

Post by winnj100 »

Thank you all for your replies. I found them very helpful! I will follow your suggestions on how to resolve my concerns!

Return to “Calendar”