Common Building Implementations

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
johnshaw

Common Building Implementations

Post by johnshaw »

In the training for meetinghouse internet and in the wiki it says that a reference will be created for common meetinghouse designs and common wireless implementations. I have not been able to find anything so far... does it exist and I'm not finding it, or is it out there somewhere?

I have 3 buildings with a traditional design and an attic... I have placed the firewall in the attic, central to the building over the RS an Primary Rooms. BUT, I can't get a single other WAP to provide enough coverage at the other end of the building to support clerk and bishop offices on both sides. Has anyone implemented a WAP centralized above the chapel/cultural hall curtain?

It looks like the perfect place to hide a cable and provide a centralized signal so that 2 WAP's can cover those buildings. I spoke to my FM and was told they have the use of a lift to get us up there. Just wondering if it's been tried.

Here's a link to the wiki site, but really hasn't had detail added to it. Common styles of meetinghouses (networking)
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

JohnShaw wrote:In the training for meetinghouse internet and in the wiki it says that a reference will be created for common meetinghouse designs and common wireless implementations. I have not been able to find anything so far... does it exist and I'm not finding it, or is it out there somewhere?

I have 3 buildings with a traditional design and an attic... I have placed the firewall in the attic, central to the building over the RS an Primary Rooms. BUT, I can't get a single other WAP to provide enough coverage at the other end of the building to support clerk and bishop offices on both sides. Has anyone implemented a WAP centralized above the chapel/cultural hall curtain?

It looks like the perfect place to hide a cable and provide a centralized signal so that 2 WAP's can cover those buildings. I spoke to my FM and was told they have the use of a lift to get us up there. Just wondering if it's been tried.

Here's a link to the wiki site, but really hasn't had detail added to it. Common styles of meetinghouses (networking)
John in one of my buildings, I place the wireless access point on a ledge outside of the chapel in the foyer and it is strong enough to cover the entire building.

I would definely check the area over the overflow because in the buildings that has it, one has concrete floor and not sure about the walls. In another building it has a huge firewall. Either of these can limit the radio signal of wireless. Also like your FM group says, getting up there will be difficult. You really want to put the WAP in a place that you can get to if necessary and that still can be hidden away.

All of my WAP's are above the ceiling tiles.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

That point is well taken. Right now in one of my newer church designs, I've got the 881W - above the RS/Primary room, and it reaches about 1/2 the building, but I ran a 1041 down one side of the building (in the attic) - but there is no coverage on the other side (there is 1 Bishop and clerk office without Internet). I found the issue with the firewall, I can tell there is something between them as the signal dies in a couple spots as I map it out on the other side. I am trying to avoid needing to place a 3rd WAP.

I'd sell my left hand at this point for ceiling tiles...if I had ceiling tiles, it'd be done, over, fini.... who in the world decided to drywall the ceiling in church buildings??? ARRggg!

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”