Saliva Free Sacrament Trays

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
sheilab1

Saliva Free Sacrament Trays

Post by sheilab1 »

Have you ever noticed how many people dump their sacrament cup upside down right before they put it in the disposal area of the sacrament trays dripping the left over water and whatever germs they are carrying right into the other full cups of water waiting to be partaken? Wouldn't it be a great idea to have the water cups on the inside of the tray and the disposal trough on the outside? I think we would all stay much healthier and I would quit worrying so much about what my children are spreading as they dump their cups.

Just a thought.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

Many years ago, when I was a child, we didn't put our sacrament cups in the tray. We passed them to the end of the pew and stacked them on the arm of the pew. The deacons would then pick them up.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

I'm sure the re-design of the sacrament trays will occur as soon as there is a major contagious outbreak of something or other that is tried to the scenario you describe. Until then, I believe there is safety in statistical probability and regular parental instruction of children.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

Many people go in from the end to avoid passing a used cup over the unused ones.

Aaron Z
GiffordDL

Great idea!

Post by GiffordDL »

The alternative is to sit on the stand where the sacrament is passed first. You could volunteer to speak, serve in the Bishopric, or lead music each Sunday :)
rhusted

Post by rhusted »

LOL. The other option is to use edible sacrament cups. Potato-based cups that you just chew and swallow, they come in regular, ranch, and Bar-B-Que flavors. ;)
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Not to be-little your idea, because it is a valid point, but this is a benefit of sitting on the head of the very first row, the one that is always free! I've watched my children sort through the bread on their quest to find that perfect piece...and then hand the tray to me! Multiply that by how many children are in the rows ahead of you each Sunday....

To be serious, as you know most of us here are just members like yourself, and not policy makers. Welcome to the forum.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

rhusted wrote:LOL. The other option is to use edible sacrament cups. Potato-based cups that you just chew and swallow, they come in regular, ranch, and Bar-B-Que flavors. ;)

If edible, you could combine the bread and the water into one! First you eat the bread cup holding the water, and then swiftly drink the water before it his the tray!

On a semi-serious note, I'm not sure that I've ever seen anyone pour water onto the unused cups while passing sacrament. I guess I'm just lucky.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

jbh001 wrote:I'm sure the re-design of the sacrament trays will occur as soon as there is a major contagious outbreak of something or other that is tried to the scenario you describe.

Not necessarily. The Word of Wisdom was given to us as a preventative measure after Emma went to Joseph with what she perceived to be a problem.

I'm not an engineer, but it seems that the problems with moving the disposal trough to the outside would be tray size and balance. If The trough were only put on one side, how do you keep it balanced so people don't end up with a lapful of sacrament water? If the troughs are placed on both sides, does the tray become unwieldy or do we sacrifice the quantity of cups that can be stored in a single tray?

Perhaps training the Teachers quorum to put less water in the cups may be prudent. A smaller amount of water to begin with should reduce the amount of water left after drinking and thus reduce the probability of spillage upon disposal.

techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

How about two trays. One containing the sacrament and another for the trash.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”