online scripture changes and ordering "real" scriptures

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
jglanfield

online scripture changes and ordering "real" scriptures

Post by jglanfield »

Hey,

I don't know where else to ask this. But all the changes that have been made to the scriptures online (e.g, the intro to the Book of Mormon, chapter heading changes, etc.), are these included in the scriptures that you order from store.lds.org?

Does anyone know? I just called the global service center and the lady had no idea :o

Or does anyone know where or who I could ask?

Cheers.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jglanfield wrote:Hey,

I don't know where else to ask this. But all the changes that have been made to the scriptures online (e.g, the intro to the Book of Mormon, chapter heading changes, etc.), are these included in the scriptures that you order from store.lds.org?

Does anyone know? I just called the global service center and the lady had no idea :o

Or does anyone know where or who I could ask?
I have a set of english language scriptures printed 9/95 with a 1981 copyright. This set is exactly as the on-line version. I checked the introduction to the Book of Mormon and a random sampling of book summaries and chapter summaries that are provided at the beginning of books and chapters in italics (for the printed copy) and see no differences. I assume by chapter headings you are referring to the chapter summaries since a chapter heading is merely the word Chapter followed by the number.

I do know there was a later (more recent) printing that had changes in the MAPS section of the triples and quads, but no changes to the text of any of the books.

Are you looking at another language version in print and the on-line version for the same language is different?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jglanfield

Post by jglanfield »

Hey - thanks for your reply! Yes, I definitely meant chapter "summary". Apologies for that.

Now, my scriptures are copyrighted 1981 as well, and my printing is 3/2004. There are definitely some differences. There have been some recent changes that are quite significant.

For instance, compare the chapter summaries for 2 Nephi 5, Ether 12 ("weaknesses" has been changed to "weakness"). Also, the introduction uses the phrase: "and they are among the ancestors of the American Indians," where the word "among" replaces the words "the principal".

Can you compare those and let me know what you see? It would be strange that your (older) printing of the scriptures would be more in-line with the newer scriptures than mine.

Cheers.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Yes I do see these differences. But fortunately these summaries are not scripture but rather summaries. I would be more concerned if the actual scriptures were different or had been changed.

You could submit your concerns as feedback using the Submit Feedback link at the bottom of the on-line scripture pages. Just as you have done in your post, make sure you provide the specifics of the differences.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jglanfield

Post by jglanfield »

Thanks. I feel the changes are significant and am excited about them. But I really wasn't trying to get into a discussion about that. I just wanted my original question answered.

I think I'll just call the scripture/curriculum department and see what I can find out. I'll post my findings.
jglanfield

Post by jglanfield »

Update:
Until this month, the 1981 headings remained in the church’s online version at lds.org. When the church upgraded its website, the Doubleday changes were included online. The former version will continue — for now — in the printed English versions.

“When these types of changes are made, they are rolled out to various online and print editions as they become available,” Purdy said in a statement. “A new English edition of The Book of Mormon is not scheduled to be printed at present. Since these changes are so minor, it is not necessary to include them until it is printed.”
Source: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50882900-76/mormon-book-changes-church.html.csp

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”