Unexplained values in "Other Category"

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
khasay12

Unexplained values in "Other Category"

Post by khasay12 »

Occasionally a value shows up in my Other Account (not a sub category of Other). For example, a value of $1.27 showed up there now. I don't know how it got there. Could it be something to do with sales tax reimbursement?

For example, if I close out an other sub category with a balance of $30 with a check for $30 (including sales tax of $1.00) is the sales tax reimbursed by placing $1 in Other?
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

It's the interest earned on any balanced in the Other subaccounts. For more information, including some suggestions on what to do with it, check our this thread: https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?8086-Bank-Interest-Posted-to-the-Other-Category
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

khasay wrote:For example, if I close out an other sub category with a balance of $30 with a check for $30 (including sales tax of $1.00) is the sales tax reimbursed by placing $1 in Other?

If you write a check for $30, of which $1 is sales tax, then only $29 is charged to the specified category(ies). The $1 is charged to Reimbursable Expenses:Utah Sales Tax (or whatever state/country you are in) and so is never charged to any of your accounts. So in your example, if there is a $30 balance in a subcategory and you write a check for $29 against that subcategory and $1 against sales tax, you will still have a balance of $1. The $1 never leaves your account, so you'll never see any $1 transaction in that subcategory. So the small transactions must have another explanation, and as allenjpl explained, they are almost certainly interest posted to the Other category.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”