HP Roll includes Elders?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
unixguy

HP Roll includes Elders?

Post by unixguy »

ETA: This was a false alarm!

I don't know if this is a bug or just something that was set up wrong-- as I was doing our quarterly report I printed a HP roll to compare it against the names of "non-attendees" that the HP GL had provided. I discovered that a number of Elders are being included in the HP roll.

I know that when you define a Primary or SS class you can specify criteria for this class, so that MLS can generate the rolls automatically-- I was unable to find a similar feature for PH rolls (nor would I have expected to).

So my question is-- why would a number of Elders have been included on the HP roll? This is with MLS 2.4.? if that helps.
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

I think I remember something with that in 2.4.2 but it was fixed in 2.6 if I remember right. I would suggest getting on 2.6 or getting on the 2.7 beta at mls.lds.org.
HaleDN
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by HaleDN »

A few years ago there was a policy change where all prospective elders were grouped under the high priests rolls. Can you confirm that these are active elders?
SmithGW

Post by SmithGW »

I'm not sure what your position in your ward is, but it sounds like you are a clerk. It is possible to add names to the High Priest rolls in MLS. Often an older elder will meet with the high priests without being a high priest simply because they are his peers and he doesn't feel at home with younger elders. Has your high priest group leader or secretary added these elders deliberately because they meet with the high priests? It is a possibility.
danpass

Post by danpass »

smithgw wrote:I'm not sure what your position in your ward is, but it sounds like you are a clerk. It is possible to add names to the High Priest rolls in MLS. Often an older elder will meet with the high priests without being a high priest simply because they are his peers and he doesn't feel at home with younger elders. Has your high priest group leader or secretary added these elders deliberately because they meet with the high priests? It is a possibility.
As a former ward clerk, I know that an elder can be assigned to the HP quorum in MLS. This makes him show up on rolls and hometeaching assignments/lists under the HP group. Our ward currently has 4 or 5 elders which have been assigned in this way under the bishop's direction. I believe that MLS administrator rights are required to make such assignments.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

haledn wrote:A few years ago there was a policy change where all prospective elders were grouped under the high priests rolls. Can you confirm that these are active elders?
Prospective elders grouped with High Priests? I can see doing that in some situations, but not automatically. Normally I'd think they'd be on the Elder's roll.
unixguy

False alarm, I'm going to go hide my face for a while

Post by unixguy »

Wow, go get a hair cut and run a few errands and there's already a bunch of replies! Thanks everybody!

I think I need a "color me embarrassed" smilie-- it turns out that I had misread one of the names on the list and thought the PE that was listed was actually his father (who is an Elder), and another man who I thought was an Elder is still a PE.

I appreciate the thoughts and advice you gave!
SmithGW

Post by SmithGW »

In reference to the comments concerning prospective elders being listed with the high priests: the First Presidency sent out a letter to stakes and wards dated November 3, 2004 that stated "Effective immediately, responsibility for the progress of prospective elders is transferred to the high priests. Where there are no high priests or insufficient numbers of them, the elders quorum will retain this responsibility." MLS was changed accordingly to comply with this directive.
charly3358-p40

Post by charly3358-p40 »

smithgw wrote:In reference to the comments concerning prospective elders being listed with the high priests: the First Presidency sent out a letter to stakes and wards dated November 3, 2004 that stated "Effective immediately, responsibility for the progress of prospective elders is transferred to the high priests. Where there are no high priests or insufficient numbers of them, the elders quorum will retain this responsibility." MLS was changed accordingly to comply with this directive.

This is true. (And it was a world-wide change)
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

smithgw wrote:In reference to the comments concerning prospective elders being listed with the high priests: the First Presidency sent out a letter to stakes and wards dated November 3, 2004 that stated "Effective immediately, responsibility for the progress of prospective elders is transferred to the high priests. Where there are no high priests or insufficient numbers of them, the elders quorum will retain this responsibility." MLS was changed accordingly to comply with this directive.

Of course perspective elders should still go to the Elder's quorum right? Which is why I think there was confusion on why the names were on the roll for HP.
- David

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”