Allow members to not show their Home address in the public directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
sharpep

Allow members to not show their Home address in the public directory

Post by sharpep »

I have noted that if a user opts in to the on line LDS.org directory, that they have control over the telephone numbers and email addresses that appear. This is a great feature.
But I also note that they do not have this same power over their home address. I know that for some members, they would prefer their address is kept private. Not having this feature will mean that they would prefer to remain opted out. This is presenting a challenge in getting people to migrate to the online directory.

Would it be possible/reasonable to add this feature?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sharpep wrote:I know that for some members, they would prefer their address is kept private. Not having this feature will mean that they would prefer to remain opted out. This is presenting a challenge in getting people to migrate to the online directory.

Would it be possible/reasonable to add this feature?
It certainly sounds like a good suggestion to me. Here on the forum you may get opinions from clerks and other members, but if you want your suggestion to get to the product managers for the Directory, you should use the Submit Feedback link on the bottom of the home page of lds.org.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
sharpep

Post by sharpep »

Thanks for the tip. I will try, but there doesn't seem to be an option specifically for the directory, so I am worried it will just get lost. This issue came up today in our High Priest Group meeting, where some members were very concerned about having their address widely available.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

While there is no direct selection within the feedback for the directory you can specify the website or page for the feedback.

When the first feedback page is displayed select the Suggestion option. On the Suggestion page select either "Local Unit (State and Ward) Web Sites" or "Other" from the "My Suggestion is regarding:" dropdown list box. I use the "Local Unit (State and Ward) Web Sites" for issues with the classic site or modules and "Other" for the new directory. I then begin by stating that the suggestion that follows is in regards to the new directory. It will be routed to the appropriate development team(s).
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lazenbyge

Addresses

Post by lazenbyge »

Not only is there not a way to keep addresses private, there is no way for an individual to edit the address if it is incomplete or incorrect, as is mine. Can you help?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lazenbyge wrote:Not only is there not a way to keep addresses private, there is no way for an individual to edit the address if it is incomplete or incorrect, as is mine. Can you help?
Talk to your ward clerk. He can make any needed corrections to your address.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”