MLS save to PDF/Excel

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
tydowns

MLS save to PDF/Excel

Post by tydowns »

Any timeframe when the church will update MLS so that files can be sent electronically in PDF/Excel, etc? Much better than printing off...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tydowns wrote:Any timeframe when the church will update MLS so that files can be sent electronically in PDF/Excel, etc? Much better than printing off...
Every administrative computer in our stake has CutePDF installed (available on the MLS download site). So although it takes a couple of steps, it can be done right now. Take note, however, that you have to be careful to follow all policies for security of electronic information captured this way from MLS.

MODERATOR NOTE: I moved this post to a new thread from its original thread (iPad Productivity in Council and Presidency Meetings - What methods do you use?), since it didn't have much to do with that topic.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I would add most screens can be saved to file (csv) or copied to clipboard in the Edit menu. Financial information, however, is redacted. Excel can open CSV files, and you can paste clipboard contents in any suitable program. Simplest by far, however, is to install a pdf printer as aebrown stated. All computers in my stake have either cutepdf or primopdf installed. Both are free and easy enough to find with an internet search.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

tydowns wrote:Any timeframe when the church will update MLS so that files can be sent electronically in PDF/Excel, etc? Much better than printing off...
aebrown wrote:Every administrative computer in our stake has CutePDF installed...So although it takes a couple of steps, it can be done right now.
crislapi wrote:I would add most screens can be saved to file (csv) or copied to clipboard in the Edit menu.
While both aebrown and crislapi are correct, and you can do everything you wish now, making MLS VERY POWERFUL, your post proves that MLS should be adapted to make this ability far more "transparent" to the user. For example, on the send/receive dialog for printing recieved and sent info, why not include an option to "print" or "save" to a designated PDF folder?

While I use both cutePDF and copy and save to csv regularly, none of our assistant clerks, or organization leaders who use MLS, have seemed to really grasp those "few extra steps." In the end, this is limiting the usefulness of MLS to them.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”