Church Records

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jdp_33

Church Records

Post by jdp_33 »

Where can I access my church records? Is it possible to do it by myself on lds.org?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

jdp_33 wrote:Where can I access my church records? Is it possible to do it by myself on lds.org?

You cannot access them online (other than see basic contact information from your membership record (Address, Phone Number, E-mail, etc).

You should receive an Individual Ordinance Summary report each year (usually around tithing settlement time). If you have not received that recently, ask your ward clerk or membership clerk for a copy. This is not available online either, so you will have to talk to your clerk.
nbflint

Post by nbflint »

davesudweeks wrote:This is not available online either, so you will have to talk to your clerk.
Point of Clarification: The IOS is available online but only for those who have access to the Clerk Resources (Basically Clerks, Bishoprics, and Presidencies).

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davesudweeks wrote:You should receive an Individual Ordinance Summary report each year (usually around tithing settlement time).

It is encouraged, but I don't know as I'd go so far as the say it "should" happen.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:It is encouraged, but I don't know as I'd go so far as the say it "should" happen.
I would use the word "should", since that is what the Tithing Settlement training course repeatedly says:

Slide 5:
The ward clerk and his assistants are responsible to print and distribute the ... Individual Ordinance Summaries.
Slide 15:
At tithing settlement, each member should receive ... an Individual Ordinance Summary.
Slide 16:
A clerk should review the Individual Ordinance Summary with each member before he or she meets with the bishop.
You also may want to review section 13.6 of Handbook 1, which says that clerks or bishopric members review the IOS with members each year. It doesn't even use the word "should" -- it simply says that they do review the IOS. That's good enough for me to conclude that reviewing the IOS with members annually is an actual responsibility -- far more than simply "encouraged."
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

But, my point is the same (in response to the original question). The only way for a member to see their IOS (at least currently) is to contact their ward clerk/assistant clerk.

Return to “General Discussions”