Tablet Optimized Application - Honey Comb 3.X

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
jallmitch

Tablet Optimized Application - Honey Comb 3.X

Post by jallmitch »

I have been thinking a lot about what Gospel Library offers and it does a great job in the phone portion but terrible in the tablet area... imho.

I want to look at designing a new front end for the application that will be optimized for tablets. There are so many additional options that can be added, that I wonder why the Team hasn't started it.... Reason (we don't know how many people will have tablets or is it going to be popular). I'm sorry, creating applications is about being ahead of the curve and not stuck on what iUsers want. I have no idea what the iPhone / iPad application looks like, but I am guessing that it is similar to what we have. btw aren't most of the developers on the project doing this as a service:confused:

I joined the project in hopes of being able to help out in the tablet area and haven't been asked to help in any certain area.... maybe I should ask???

Anyway... sorry for the long spill..... The next version of Android will be out in late fall - Ice Cream Sandwich, and it will be optimized for both the phone and tablet.

What would you like to see in a tablet optimized application? I have several ideas.... More graphical design... incorporate Video, note taking....... and the list could go on.

Let's here your thoughts!
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

jallmitch wrote:I joined the project in hopes of being able to help out in the tablet area and haven't been asked to help in any certain area.... maybe I should ask???

Absolutely. Contact one of the developers, let them know what you're interested in and how you can help, and go to work.

Start with the project page on the wiki. The project manager and development lead are listed at the bottom of the page.
jasonhyer

Post by jasonhyer »

jallmitch wrote: I joined the project in hopes of being able to help out in the tablet area and haven't been asked to help in any certain area.... maybe I should ask???

My experience with the project has been that when we assign developers to do work, very few follow through and complete it. There may be many reasons for this but all that aside, if you are willing to work on a specific portion of the project, let us know and as long as it fits in with the current development plan, we would be more than happy to have your help.

As for the optimization for tablets, we don't know how many people are using it and how much of a need there is. Also, most of the active developers we have don't have tablets and so we work with what we have. If there is a demonstrated interest, we will move that direction as resources are available. The biggest constraint is resources. FTE's and volunteers are in short supply and there is a lot of work to do just to make the app stable. Once the app is stable, we can focus more on the asthetics of the app.
Jason Hyer

Return to “Android Gospel Library”