2012 General Conference

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
alyxlarsen

2012 General Conference

Post by alyxlarsen »

Can someone tell me if the April General Conference in 2012 will be on the 31st and 1st or on the 7th and 8th?

Thanks,
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

alyxlarsen wrote:Can someone tell me if the April General Conference in 2012 will be on the 31st and 1st or on the 7th and 8th?

It will be March 31 and April 1. It's always on the first Sunday of April and October, and the Saturday before. The last time this happened in April conference was in 2007, which was indeed on March 31 and April 1. In October 2006, conference was on September 30 and October 1.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:It's always

I'd say usually. I seem to recall one year it was pushed back a week. Something about the Olympics.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

Hmmm, I thought you could get info about general conference by going to LDS.org and selecting Menu > The Church > News and Events. However, I spent several minutes there and could not find it. Is there another churchwide calendar and events page that I'm missing?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It usually shows up in http://lds.org/calendar (when logged out) and in the LUWS website. But neither have any information. Nor have I seen the 2012 Satellite Programming Schedule. But then this year's wasn't published until the end of August 2010.

It appears, the 2012 church-wide calendar simply hasn't been published yet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mnmpeterson

Post by mnmpeterson »

Here is a list of years when April 1 or October 1 were on a Sunday and what day General Conference began that year. I figured it out by looking at past Ensign magazines online:
http://lds.org/ensign/2011?lang=eng

Year April Saturday Session
2007 March 31
1990 March 31
1984 April 7
1979 March 31

Year Oct Saturday Session

1978 Sep 30
1989 Sep 30
1995 Sep 30
2000 Oct 7
2006 Sep 30

So it looks like there is a 78% chance that April general conference will begin on March 31. Sure wish the Church would announce the actual dates so we can plan around it in our calendar.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mnmpeterson wrote:So it looks like there is a 78% chance that April general conference will begin on March 31. Sure wish the Church would announce the actual dates so we can plan around it in our calendar.

Except the exceptions were on leap years. 2012 is a leap year.

mnmpeterson

Post by mnmpeterson »

You're right, the exceptions were both on leap years. So it's likely that 2012 will also be an exception. Still wish there was an official announcement to go on.
mnmpeterson

The Answer

Post by mnmpeterson »

Got a copy of a letter to Stake Presidents showing conferences and other broadcast information today. It lists the April 2012 general conference on March 31 - April 1.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Good to know. But I do remember seeing the fall one moving from when it was first announced, so it's only set in sandstone, not granite.

Return to “General Discussions”