Enter Donations - Default Save command key

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
Teletubby

Enter Donations - Default Save command key

Post by Teletubby »

I am currently serving as Ward Financial Clerk.

Unless I am mistaken in Enter Donations, there is currently no command key to press to Save (the donation) this means that, even with tabbing you MUST use the mouse to click the Save button and move on to the next donation.

This is a major pain to do this since, in my opinion, ALL of Enter Donations should be able to be performed WITHOUT using the mouse.

Thank you for considering this suggestion to improve ease of use/speed on Enter Donations.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

It is Ctrl-Enter.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

From any section of the donation slip it is as Ryan Jones stated, except it is Ctrl+Enter (using standard notation). If you find yourself at the last field, Coin, the down arrow will also move the focus to the Save Donation button where pressing Enter will complete the save process.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Teletubby wrote:Thank you for considering this suggestion to improve ease of use/speed on Enter Donations.
Since you are on a run today with these types of post, I thought it would be useful to point out that the forum is composed of mostly other Ward and Stake clerks. We are neither developers of MLS, nor have any particular connection to the development team. This is mostly a question/answer environment.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Teletubby wrote:in my opinion, ALL of Enter Donations should be able to be performed WITHOUT using the mouse.

You have received individual responses to your three questions regarding keyboard usage in MLS. You will most likely find the wiki article MLS keyboard shortcuts to be helpful, since it contains the most complete compilation of shortcut keys that I know of. All three of the shortcuts you were wondering about are there, as well as many others.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Teletubby

Post by Teletubby »

Thanks for your reply. If the only way to access this info "MLS keyboard shortcuts" is on the tech.lds.org web site (for example I don't see it here: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Financial_clerk), then I think it would be worthwhile to add it to online help/training for clerks and/or a help link from within MLS - because obviously the financial clerk and bishopric counsellor are hoping to enter the donation data asap (and accurately) in order to get home to their families.

I posted these three suggestions here because of the note on this page: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/MLS:_Feedback_and_Suggestions

"Before items can be added to this page, they need to be discussed on the LDSTech MLS Forum. This will insure that the issue is properly understood and is not already a capability of MLS; it will also make it possible to link all suggestions on this wiki page to a more detailed discussion on the forum. Once the idea has been discussed on the forum, an administrator will move the suggestion to this page -- regular users can no longer make changes to this page directly."
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Teletubby wrote:Thanks for your reply. If the only way to access this info "MLS keyboard shortcuts" is on the tech.lds.org web site (for example I don't see it here: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Financial_clerk), then I think it would be worthwhile to add it to online help/training for clerks and/or a help link from within MLS - because obviously the financial clerk and bishopric counsellor are hoping to enter the donation data asap (and accurately) in order to get home to their families.

The wiki is a collection of linked pages. It is indeed on the Financial Clerk wiki article that you referenced, since that article links to the Donations article, which then links to the Keyboard shortcuts article. It's impractical to have every article link directly to any possibly related article, so the articles link to each other through a series of links in closely related articles. Personally, I think the linkage I described works just fine -- with any wiki you have to be willing to do a search or to follow links in order to find the information you seek.
Teletubby wrote:I posted these three suggestions here because of the note on this page: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/MLS:_Feedback_and_Suggestions

"Before items can be added to this page, they need to be discussed on the LDSTech MLS Forum. This will insure that the issue is properly understood and is not already a capability of MLS; it will also make it possible to link all suggestions on this wiki page to a more detailed discussion on the forum. Once the idea has been discussed on the forum, an administrator will move the suggestion to this page -- regular users can no longer make changes to this page directly."
The three suggestions you made regarding keyboard shortcuts don't need to be added to MLS, because as you have seen, they are already in MLS. In this post, you are making a new suggestion for providing a more accessible link to the information about keyboard shortcuts. That certainly does have merit, and I have added it to the MLS: Feedback and Suggestions page. Please note, however, that there is no guarantee that any MLS product manager will see the suggestion there. It would be much more reliable to send that suggestion to mlssupport@ldschurch.org.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

Teletubby wrote:Thanks for your reply. If the only way to access this info "MLS keyboard shortcuts" is on the tech.lds.org web site (for example I don't see it here: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Financial_clerk), then I think it would be worthwhile to add it to online help/training for clerks and/or a help link from within MLS - because obviously the financial clerk and bishopric counsellor are hoping to enter the donation data asap (and accurately) in order to get home to their families.

I posted these three suggestions here because of the note on this page: https://tech.lds.org/wiki/MLS:_Feedback_and_Suggestions

The list of keyboard shortcuts is already accessible from within MLS. If you go to the Help tab (I think that's the name of it, its on the far right) in MLS, there is an option to select FAQs and MLS Instructions. I believe the FAQs contain the list of keyboard shortcuts, although it could certainly be in the instructions.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

allenjpl wrote:The list of keyboard shortcuts is already accessible from within MLS. If you go to the Help tab (I think that's the name of it, its on the far right) in MLS, there is an option to select FAQs and MLS Instructions. I believe the FAQs contain the list of keyboard shortcuts, although it could certainly be in the instructions.
There is a brief list of keyboard shortcuts in the FAQ, but it does not cover everything that is in the wiki article (for example, hitting the space bar when on Budget or Ward Missionary or Other to pop up the subcategory list).
shawndowler

Use Alt+S to Save

Post by shawndowler »

You can always use Alt+S to save. I have added this to the wiki page for MLS Keyboard Shortcuts. I find this easier to use than Ctrl+Enter since I'm using my right hand for 10-Key on the number pad and my left hand can comfortable rest on the left side of the keyboard.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”