Non-Member wife will not give name.

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
alyxlarsen

Non-Member wife will not give name.

Post by alyxlarsen »

I am a stake clerk and one of the ward clerks had a question.

He noticed a member listed as a YSA and he knew that the member was married. So He went to the home of the member to talk to them. The member's wife answered the door and was pretty hostile and said she did not want anything to do with the church. So The ward clerk changed the records in MLS to show the member as married but it shows as an error in the membership audit that the member's spouse does not have a name. So the ward clerk went back to talk to the member again, and again the wife answered and she was even more upset and said she did not want anyone to come to her house again.

So the question is, what do I have him do? He cant change the member back to a YSA (although that would fix the error). Do I have him leave the error in there?

Thanks,
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

alyxlarsen wrote:So the question is, what do I have him do? He cant change the member back to a YSA (although that would fix the error). Do I have him leave the error in there?

I'm curious why it seems to be so difficult to talk to the member. That seems like the simplest solution.

In many jurisdictions marriages are a matter of public record, so it really shouldn't be a big mystery. There may be easy ways to look up the information using some search of public records.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to record that the member is married so that he has the correct status. If the clerk has made a reasonable effort to obtain the information, an error on the membership audit because of missing information is not really a big problem.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
alyxlarsen

Post by alyxlarsen »

Several unsuccessful attempts have been made to contact the member. But I had not thought about looking at public records. I will mention that to him.

Return to “Membership Help”