Different Name on lds.org Directory from MLS

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mbstone

Different Name on lds.org Directory from MLS

Post by mbstone »

A member's record in MLS has the correct information, however, when I go to view their information online on lds.org under the Ward Directory, their first name is combined with their last name. For example:

First name: Joseph
Last name: Smith
As it appears on the lds.org Ward Directory: Smith Joseph, Joseph.

All other member's information is correctly displayed on the Ward Directory, but I cannot find any discrepancies with this particular member's membership record in MLS. Any help as to how to fix this would be appreciated.

-Mike
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mikebstone wrote:A member's record in MLS has the correct information, however, when I go to view their information online on lds.org under the Ward Directory, their first name is combined with their last name

Have you checked both the preferred name and the full name in MLS? Is this a head of household? If not, does the head of household have a different last name from the member?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Are you talking about Classic LUWS (lds.org/units) or the new Directory (lds.org/directory)?

In the Classic LUWS, the user profile has a place for preferred first name. If the member typed in their full name, then you'd see Smith, Joseph Smith. The member or a Classic LUWS admin can fix it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mbstone

Post by mbstone »

It is the new lds.org website, not the classic. However, I found the solution to the problem. I was confused for so long because I did check the preferred name and that wasn't the problem. This member is the head of household and I edited the head of household name as it was listed as "Last name First name" as the member's last name. All I had to do was a little more exploring in MLS and discover things I didn't know existed. I can see why this problem may have come up with the previous Clerk as this particular member has many names. :)

Return to “Membership Help”