Gap in building resource and directory functionality

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
kennova

Gap in building resource and directory functionality

Post by kennova »

Our ward meets in a building that is "owned" by another stake. This creates a problem with reserving the building, and contacting the Agent Bishop since we can't find the phone numbers for anyone in that ward since they are in another stake.

I'm curious if the new systems can handle such a situation. All the new building reservation features in the calendar are not usable.

Building - Leander Texas
Wards in the building
Carriage Hills - Austin Stake (Agent Bishop's ward)
Leander - Round Rock Stake
Vista Ridge - Round Rock Stake (my ward)

Member's contact me to get numbers (I'm the Exec Sec) for the Carriage Hills Ward, but I have no access to them on the site. https://lds.org/messaging also doesn't work for that Stake or Ward.

Other issues arise around this when it comes to wireless policy in the building and other issues. Our Stake Pres allows wireless, and the other Stake Pres does not.
Kenn North
Texas
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kennova wrote:Our ward meets in a building that is "owned" by another stake. This creates a problem with reserving the building, and contacting the Agent Bishop since we can't find the phone numbers for anyone in that ward since they are in another stake.

I'm curious if the new systems can handle such a situation. All the new building reservation features in the calendar are not usable.

Building - Leander Texas
Wards in the building
Carriage Hills - Austin Stake (Agent Bishop's ward)
Leander - Round Rock Stake
Vista Ridge - Round Rock Stake (my ward)

Member's contact me to get numbers (I'm the Exec Sec) for the Carriage Hills Ward, but I have no access to them on the site. https://lds.org/messaging also doesn't work for that Stake or Ward.

Other issues arise around this when it comes to wireless policy in the building and other issues. Our Stake Pres allows wireless, and the other Stake Pres does not.

Review the help section on Manage Locations or Resources Shared By Two Stakes, and then see if that covers your issues.
kennova wrote:Member's contact me to get numbers (I'm the Exec Sec) for the Carriage Hills Ward, but I have no access to them on the site. https://lds.org/messaging also doesn't work for that Stake or Ward.

That's true. But you could possibly publish some key contact numbers on your ward website.
kennova wrote:Other issues arise around this when it comes to wireless policy in the building and other issues. Our Stake Pres allows wireless, and the other Stake Pres does not.

The agent stake does control the basic policy. However, you might be able to get permission to have a wireless router in just your bishop's office / clerk office area for leader use.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

kennova wrote:Our ward meets in a building that is "owned" by another stake. This creates a problem with reserving the building, and contacting the Agent Bishop since we can't find the phone numbers for anyone in that ward since they are in another stake.
You can use the LDS Mapssite to locate the agent bishop's contact information. Once the unit name is entered the telephone contact information for the bishop is available. The first phone number is the bishop's home and the second is the bishop's office.
kennova wrote:I'm curious if the new systems can handle such a situation. All the new building reservation features in the calendar are not usable.
Getting access to membership or leadership directories is not possible unless someone is entered in the agent ward's MLS as an out of unit member (must include MRN). That someone would then have access just as if they were a member of that unit.

To be able to reserve resources in the location (meetinghouse), your stake, the Round Rock Texas Stake, must have the location entered into the Facilities Management database. More information is available at the calendar help section Manage Locations or Resources Shared by Two Stakes. Once the location is in the FM database a stake approver can enter the location using the Manage Locations and Resources function of the calendar so that resources are available to be reserved with events. Your physical facilities representative (high councilor) should contact your FM Group to get the location into the FM database and associated with your stake.
kennova wrote:Other issues arise around this when it comes to wireless policy in the building and other issues. Our Stake Pres allows wireless, and the other Stake Pres does not.
This is an issue to be discussed between stake presidents. Unfortunately if the agent stake does not want to provide wireless access then you will have to live with that direction.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
kennova

Post by kennova »

aebrown wrote: That's true. But you could possibly publish some key contact numbers on your ward website.
Where is this done. I knew how to do it on the old site, but not the new one. Our members have all but fully transitioned to the new system.

I will try to work our Stake to enable this building as shared by two Stakes.
Kenn North
Texas
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

kennova wrote: Member's contact me to get numbers (I'm the Exec Sec) for the Carriage Hills Ward, but I have no access to them on the site. https://lds.org/messaging also doesn't work for that Stake or Ward.
If you look in CDOL you (as the Exec Sec) can see the contact info for the Bishopric, Clerk and Exec Sec for the Carriage Hills Ward.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kennova wrote:Where is this done. I knew how to do it on the old site, but not the new one. Our members have all but fully transitioned to the new system.

Yes, you do know how to do it, since that part of the site hasn't changed. At this point, the new local unit web site consists of all the Classic site's capabilities, plus the new Calendar and the new Directory. Although the News and Information and other remaining parts of the Classic site will eventually be replaced, that has not yet happened. So continue to use all of the Classic site until it is replaced.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kennova

Post by kennova »

aebrown wrote:Yes, you do know how to do it, since that part of the site hasn't changed. At this point, the new local unit web site consists of all the Classic site's capabilities, plus the new Calendar and the new Directory. Although the News and Information and other remaining parts of the Classic site will eventually be replaced, that has not yet happened. So continue to use all of the Classic site until it is replaced.

Yeah I know that pretty much no one visits that, I always forget about CDOL though so I'll use that in the meantime.
Kenn North
Texas
kennova

Post by kennova »

What about adding a canner, or other resources like a projector? I was trying to find more information on that, and only came up with a couple random forums that mention it as a nice to have, no official support. But I ask here as it seems to be a something not specifically mentioned on the Manage resources over two Stakes.
Kenn North
Texas
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kennova wrote:What about adding a canner, or other resources like a projector? I was trying to find more information on that, and only came up with a couple random forums that mention it as a nice to have, no official support. But I ask here as it seems to be a something not specifically mentioned on the Manage resources over two Stakes.
The agent stake controls exactly what resources are within the shared location. Once the agent stake adds a custom resource (or hides/shows a standard resource), the external stake will have access to those resources within the location. So if you are the external stake, you would need to ask the agent stake to add custom resources such as a canner or projector to the location.

Return to “Main Church Website”