Can we schedule an event that could show on multiple calendars without duplication?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
kjens

Can we schedule an event that could show on multiple calendars without duplication?

Post by kjens »

***Is there a way to schedule an event in a location with a particular resource AND CHOOSE WHICH CALENDARS WILL DISPLAY THE EVENT without having duplication/triplication, etc. when the calendars are in a "stacked view?"
For example, I would like an event, like a youth dance or youth conference to appear on the Calendars for the Young Men, Young Women and the full Stake Calendar. Each of these multiple groups need to see the event on their calendars. If I put the event on every calendar for affected groups, when the calendars are stacked, the event is duplicated or triplicated. If they are NOT listed on each group's calendar, the group will not see the event when they look at only their own calendar.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kjens wrote:***Is there a way to schedule an event in a location with a particular resource AND CHOOSE WHICH CALENDARS WILL DISPLAY THE EVENT without having duplication/triplication, etc. when the calendars are in a "stacked view?"

The answer at this time is simply no. However, this particular issue is raised on the Known Limitations with the Calendar page, with an indication that it "will be fixed or otherwise addressed sometime during 2011."
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kjens

Post by kjens »

Sorry, jumped the gun on this question. See Known Calendar Issues and Limitations in HELP. The answer is just "not now." But, the HELP gives suggestions on how to work around it.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Seems to me it might be easier if you just had one calendar that showed everything in different colors, say the General Church activities in black, the Stake activities in red and the ward activities in,

Oh wait a minute.

Nevermind...
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TinMan wrote:Seems to me it might be easier if you just had one calendar that showed everything in different colors, say the General Church activities in black, the Stake activities in red and the ward activities in,

Oh wait a minute.

Nevermind...
Although the sarcasm in your post is obvious, I would note that you can do precisely that with the new calendar if you'd like. The problem mentioned in the original post would mostly go away if the ward and stake each chose to have only one calendar. That is one reasonable option. It eliminates many of the benefits of the new calendar, but a ward and stake could certainly operate that way if they'd like. They'd still have the benefit of integrated resource scheduling, synchronization with other calendars such as those on mobile devices, etc.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

It goes to the greater point, Alan. Who exactly benefits from "integrated resources scheduling, syncronization with other calendars such as those on mobile devices?" The average age in my ward is somewhere around 50. We have held 3 meetings, 1 in the Stake and 2 in our ward, since January outling how to use the "new calendar." Every time I am asked "What was wrong with the old one?" Most of them have cell phones that only well, you know, make phone calls. Most of them have internet access but they are limited to email and family history. Before the switch to the new calendar with the "many benefits," 60 to 70 percent of my ward could access the ward website and look at the old calender with few benefits. Now I imaging that only about 30 percent of my ward takes advantage of the latest and greatest new calendar. After 6 months, I have given up trying to push people to the new calendar. Those that want to use it can and those that don't we try to accomodate in different ways.

And guess where most of my ward leadership comes from: Those who don't want to be bothered with the new calender with all its sychronizing benefits. So what do they do? The print up their own calenders using some sort of calendaring program. And they call the building scheduler to see if the building is busy when they want to schedule an activty.

For our ward, and much of our stake with much the same demographics, it is a giant step backwards. Yeah, one day all those young families in the ward will catch up and take over the ward. But until then, we are printing and photocopying calendars and handing them out at the first of each month for them to sync with a magnet on the side of the fridge.

So, why don't we use the option described in your post? Because the two stake clerks are young techno-guys. And, like you, are convinced that multi layered, mobile sync-ing is the latest and greatest and the way of the future. I am sure those two are enjoying the benefits you described. Afterall, they have created no less than 12 stake calendars. But for us simple folk, it is a mass of confusion.

Oh. You didn't explain how we can get the general Church activities on your newest greatest thing since sliced bread calendar. Oh, that is right. It is coming sometime in the future.

I really think that "they" put the cart before the horse on this one.

Okay. End of my rant.

And sorry, I still haven't figured out how to spell check on this site. Being an old foggie and all...

:)
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

TinMan wrote:Who exactly benefits from "integrated resources scheduling, syncronization with other calendars such as those on mobile devices?"
Ah, but please don't send us backward! We promise to keep photocoying the calendar for you!

All joking aside, I think we all benefit. Those who haven't switched yet will benefit from the trials of your stake this year, and the "perfecting of the calendar" through the next many years. Ward members don't have to even log on to benefit from the new tools on LDS.org - these tools, imperfect calendar included, helps me virtually everyday in my service to my ward.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

kisaac wrote:All joking aside, I think we all benefit. Those who haven't switched yet will benefit from the trials of your stake this year, and the "perfecting of the calendar" through the next many years. Ward members don't have to even log on to benefit from the new tools on LDS.org - these tools, imperfect calendar included, helps me virtually everyday in my service to my ward.
As a YM 2nd counselor, I LOVE being able to edit, create and delete YM calendar items. It makes it MUCH easier to keep the calender up to date and showing what exactly the YM are doing each week. I would really like for the Google sync to work as then I could keep all my calenders synchronized automatically, but I have a workaround for now.
The parents who are subscribed to the calendar often reply when I make a change to let me know if they have a conflict or if they will be delayed, so they appreciate it too.

Aaron Z
joshua_campbell

Post by joshua_campbell »

To work with a group event that includes all YM/YW or say just the YM, I created calendars to handle the group. I also have individual calendars for each of the three YM and YW organizations. For example, a 15 year old by can subscribe to the YM-Teacher/Varsity, YM-Young Men General, and YM/YW-Combined calendars and he will get, for the most part, notifications relevant to him. If he is in the Teacher's Quorum Leadership, he can also subscribe to the YM-Leadership calendar to get notifications of leadership meetings and such.

Granted, the ability to "CHOOSE WHICH CALENDARS WILL DISPLAY THE EVENT" would be nice, but until then, additional calendars is my method of choice. It does make for more caledars, but our ward members like the option to subscribe to calendars that are relevant to them.

As for Tin Man, I don't see why the "new" calendaring system is such a step backwards. You can impliment it like the old one by creating only one calendar. If you don't have control over the Stake Calendar, just subscribe to everything and make the colors the same and you'll essentially be duplicating the old system. Either way, layered calendars, mobile syncing, and integrated resource scheduling are the way of the future and I am glad to see the new calendar system incorporating these things.

Return to “Calendar”