New post: Third-Party API for Gospel Content to Be Released in September

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.
tomjoht

New post: Third-Party API for Gospel Content to Be Released in September

Post by tomjoht »

We published a new post about an upcoming API for third-party applications using Church content. See "Third-Party API for Gospel Content to Be Released in September" at http://bit.ly/olqe97 for details.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

"Currently, some third-party developers are using backdoor methods to screen-scrape the Church’s copyrighted content. This will no longer be permitted."
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

Did you have a question about that sentence? Was it worded too strongly? I'm not sure what a more formal or friendly term would be for screen-scraping.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Sorry, I should have added some context. I simply pulled an interesting quote. I think it reasonable to think that a certain number of the "third-party developers" in question are here on this forum. I know there's been a few that have reformatted the scriptures into the format needed by their particular reader. I echoed it to let them know.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

johnsonth wrote:We published a new post about an upcoming API for third-party applications using Church content. See "Third-Party API for Gospel Content to Be Released in September" at http://bit.ly/olqe97 for details.

John,

Thats great news to see it finally here. I have one question:

Will it be a case of we are allowed to just pull, display and discard the info or will we be allowed to store the info we are pulling so it can be read in offline mode (just like the Gospel Library apps are doing)?

I hope the latter is the case.

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”