Roles and Rights Changes

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
CraigShull

Roles and Rights Changes

Post by CraigShull »

Please help me understand the 'roles and rights'. I wonder if they have changed since the last major update. This pertains to both the 'Calendar and Directory' tools. I am the HC in charge of the stake's web site. Our stake ward member that have been called to their respective official MLS calling of web site administers can not change or edit anything in the directory with the expection of the photos. As I understand the R&R's they have the same editing priveleges as the other members in the list ie the full bishoprics. One sister, and administrator, used to be able to edit her wards directory but now can only do photos.
She also used to be able to look at other building resouces in the stake to see what is available stake wide, now she can only see her own wards resources. As a stake administrator, I can only do the same. One other sister can not see her own building's other wards subscribed location. Are some callings gender specific? Can you have more than one ward web site administrator assigned per ward in the MLS? Maybe we have a more basic Stake setup problem when we migrated to the new system. I can not seem to reach anyone at Church headquarters that can clear up our issues.

Please give me some insight and possibles paths to check out.

Thank you,

Bro. Shull
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I would suggest reading the "Help" files in the new tools. That's where you'll find the "user manual". It outlines the paradigm shift that the new tools represents. Partly this is due to the fact the new tools now sync with the other systems and no longer require manual data entry in the website.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

craigshull wrote:Please give me some insight and possibles paths to check out.

Let's take a look at the issues one at a time.
craigshull wrote:Please help me understand the 'roles and rights'. I wonder if they have changed since the last major update. This pertains to both the 'Calendar and Directory' tools.
The directory roles and responsibilities and calendar rights and roleshave not changed as far as I can tell over the past six months or more. The list of administrators for the directory are provided in the directory help linked to above. Administrators for the directory are by standard callings as entered into MLS.

The calendar has default approvers (administrators) by callings as entered into MLS and are listed in the calendar help linked to above. Additional calendar approvers can be added by name by a default approver. This capability to add approvers (administrators) is only available for the calendar and not the directory.

Callings in MLS must use the standard positions for the position to be granted the administrator rights for the directory and default approver rights for the calendar. Custom positions will not have any rights. So it is important to make sure the positions in MLS are entered as standard positions. Check CDOL to see what is listed there. If the position is not listed there as a standard position then the member does not have the rights they need.
craigshull wrote:I am the HC in charge of the stake's web site.
I am going to assume you have a standard position calling of stake website administrator and that it is correctly entered into MLS as such. If this is correct then you should have default approver (administrator) rights to the stake calendar but not the stake directory. No stake position currently has access to any ward/branch calendars in the stake except their home ward/branch.
craigshull wrote:Our stake ward member that have been called to their respective official MLS calling of web site administers can not change or edit anything in the directory with the expection of the photos. As I understand the R&R's they have the same editing priveleges as the other members in the list ie the full bishoprics.
That is correct. The ward website administrator (standard position in MLS is "Website Administrator") should have administrator rights for the directory. Oddly enough the website administrator for a branch is not listed as having administrator rights according to the directory help.

Approving, deleting, or adding photos requires administrator rights. Of course adult members of a household can add, or change photos for thier household. But those additions or changes must be approved by an administrator to be viewed on the directory. So it appears there may be an issue specific to your stake units that is causing a limitation to the administrator rights. I am an administrator for my unit and have full rights as explained in the directory help and I have not noticed the limitations on my rights as you explain.
craigshull wrote:One sister, and administrator, used to be able to edit her wards directory but now can only do photos.
For a sister to be a directory administrator she would have to be called to and entered into MLS as a website administrator. That is the only calling a sister can hold for directory administrator rights. The limitation to her rights as an administrator are unusual as I explained above.
craigshull wrote:She also used to be able to look at other building resouces in the stake to see what is available stake wide, now she can only see her own wards resources.
There is no capability to view resource availability for anyone currently. The workaround has been to deselect all subscribed calendars in the Subscribed Calendars list (to reduce event clutter from your ward) and select the desired location in the Subscribed Locations list to see scheduled events for that location and then click an event to see what resources are reserved for that event. The calendar help View Resourch Calendarsexplains the known limitation.

After reviewing your statements it appears to me you are mixing terms. Just so we are clear I will explain. Buildings such as meetinghouses are called locations. There may be stake resources that are listed as locations such as a recreation facility, pavillion, or field. Each location can have multiple resources such as the cultural hall, baptismal font, and so on. What I think you were referring to when you said resource was a location and the resources for that location.

Any member of the stake with calendar editor rights for any calendar should be able to view other locations (meetinghouses) in the stake if the stake has the following options selected: In Options > Manage Locations & Resources the location (meetinghouse) is listed and the options This location is a meetinghouse, This location is approved for use by all stake and ward calendars, and Allow new events to be scheduled at this location are checked.

If the locations are setup this way by the stake then any member with calendar editor rights, and not just approvers (administrators) can view other scheduled events with resources reserved by selecting the location in the Subscribed Locations list.
craigshull wrote:As a stake administrator, I can only do the same.
Again I am assuming you are a stake website administrator or at least have been designated an approver for the stake. As such you should be able to view events with reserved resources for any location set up as describe above by a stake default approver. If a location is set up as described then the locations should be listed in the Scheduled Locations list. Once a location is listed there you should be able to view the events with resources by checking that location.
craigshull wrote:One other sister can not see her own building's other wards subscribed location.
This statement is too confusing for me to understand the issue. But I think I have an idea what you are saying.

To view another location's scheduled events a member must have calendar editor rights. If the member is not an editor of a calendar then they will not be able to view other locations within the stake. The Subscribed Locations list will not be available to them.
craigshull wrote:Are some callings gender specific?
For the purposes of the directory and calendar there is only one calling to which a sister can be called to gain administrator rights. That is a website administrator. All other positions are priesthood positions. There is a way for a sister to have approver (administrator) rights other than by calling and that is to be assigned, or added, by name as a calendar approver. Directory administrators are by position (calling) only.
craigshull wrote:Can you have more than one ward web site administrator assigned per ward in the MLS?
Yes. But I don't know if CDOL will take more than one. Perhaps Ryan Jones can comment about this. He's the CDOL church employee in these forums.
craigshull wrote:Maybe we have a more basic Stake setup problem when we migrated to the new system. I can not seem to reach anyone at Church headquarters that can clear up our issues.
Talk to a stake default approver (stake clerks) to see if the locations in the stake are set up as described above and in the calendar help section Managing Locations and Resources.

If the locations are properly set up and there are still issues in viewing the scheduled events with resources at other stake locations then there may be isssues beyond what I have described above. For those issues related to having only partial administrator rights for the directory I am unable to help any further.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

jdlessley wrote:
craigshull wrote:Can you have more than one ward web site administrator assigned per ward in the MLS?
Yes. But I don't know if CDOL will take more than one. Perhaps Ryan Jones can comment about this. He's the CDOL church employee in these forums.
Yes CDOL will allow it as well.
Miknmaur

Calendar Sync, Out of Unit Bishopric Issue

Post by Miknmaur »

A bishopric member serving in our ward from another ward cannot get his 2nd counselor calendar to sync with his Palm phone. He is in the Bishopric but it shows he is an editor of his home ward calendar but not the YSA ward where he serves. The events for his personal calendar on the YSA calendar do not show up in his subscriptions even though it is listed.

Return to “Main Church Website”