Can't send text messages to certain contacts

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
jssmith88

Can't send text messages to certain contacts

Post by jssmith88 »

It seems that Ward Tools makes a distinction between 'home' and 'mobile' numbers: if it is a 'mobile' number, there is an option to send a text message to that number. If it is a 'home' number, there is not. The problem is that many phone numbers are listed as 'home' when they should be mobile. Does anyone know how this is determined and how to fix it? I am an assistant ward clerk and have access to MLS if needed.
I do not have this problem with the Android version of Ward Tools.
Thank you in advance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'll guess that "home" is the household number and "cell" is the individual number in MLS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jssmith88

Post by jssmith88 »

That sounds likely; the people who I can't text only have household info and no individual. This is a singles ward, so we've been putting everything under 'household' for the sake of directories, etc. Is there any downside in putting the same info for both household and individual in such a case?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jssmith88 wrote:That sounds likely; the people who I can't text only have household info and no individual. This is a singles ward, so we've been putting everything under 'household' for the sake of directories, etc. Is there any downside in putting the same info for both household and individual in such a case?
There's not really any downside to having the phone number (or email address) in both household and individual fields. There are some reports and places on lds.org where both pieces of information are displayed, so it's a bit redundant, but that's a minor issue. If you're willing to do the extra work to put the info both places, then it sounds like the benefit for the mobile apps may well be worth the effort.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jssmith88

Post by jssmith88 »

I will give it a try and see how it goes. Thank you all for your help.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”