Unable to restore backup from a file

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
j_henyo

Unable to restore backup from a file

Post by j_henyo »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and this is great.

Anyways, me and our branch clerk were trying to do send/receive in MLS but due to latency of our internet connection the process did not went through and when we tried to relaunch the MLS its not accepting our log ins anymore. Our District Clerk tried uninstall and reinstall MLS and started from scratch. We were able add our unit and were able to log in, but then when we tried to restore back up from a file to update out records, its giving us an error "error in the database".. Hope that I stated our issue correctly and forgive me if my english is not that good.. help please...

thanks, :)
John
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

It is possible the backup being restored from is not a good backup. Try each previous successive backup until you find a backup that is good. Any data entered since that backup willl have to be re-entered.

For future reference to avoid uninstalling and reinstalling MLS when any logon issues are encountered follow the procedures in the wiki article Lost user names (MLS).
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Wow - that's the most drastic action taken first. However, it sounds like your database got corrupted at some point. I'm working with LUS currently to repair one of my unit's databases. Backups from early June work, but July's does not. I should be hearing back in a day or two on the status.

The problem with restoring from a backup is that you will lose any information you had in MLS that got entered after the date of the backup. The membership can probably be updated by requesting a unit refresh, but I'm not sure about the finances. It would seem that with CUBS now, a similar thing should happen with finances but I've heard nothing about it being an option. I would say it's definitely time to involve LUS.
j_henyo

Post by j_henyo »

Thanks guys for the replies, but I did try to restore previous back up files from July and I was getting the same error.. I going to try restoring backup file from the month of June today, hopefully it will work.. Thanks for all the information..
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

There is also a backup copy kept at CHQ. Each month a backup copy is sent to CHQ during a routine send/receive. Each unit's backup is sent at a different date in the month and when your unit backup is sent can only be determined by contacting MLS Support. If a valid backup cannot be found going back more than 30 days it may be worth while to contact MLS Support. There is also an automatic backup stored on the hard drive. For more information about backups see the wiki article MLS backup.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

j_henyo wrote:I going to try restoring backup file from the month of June today, hopefully it will work

Keep in mind that CHQ is only open a few more hours before it closes for the weekend.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

j_henyo wrote:Our District Clerk tried uninstall and reinstall MLS and started from scratch. We were able add our unit and were able to log in, but then when we tried to restore back up from a file to update out records, its giving us an error "error in the database"

When I had this same problem, I was told that you have to do a Send/Receive after you setup the new unit before you try to restore the backup. Local Unit Support said that the S/R sets up some files and directories that the installation does not set up, causing the database error.

This began occurring when the first version of MLS was released that supposedly did not require an administrative login to run.

Unfortunately, I have never been able to make this process work, and we restored using a different method.

Please note what others have said, that when you lose your user names and/or passwords are not accepted, there is usually an easier way to fix the problem.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”