Updating recurring event

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
ninadawn

Updating recurring event

Post by ninadawn »

I would like the ability to update all instances of a recurring event without screwing up customization of specific instances.

For example, our ward choir meets most Sundays at the same time. Occasionally, such as General Conference Sunday, they don't meet. So I scheduled a recurring event and removed the instances that conflicted with General Conference. Great. Now the Smith's move and the location of choir practice moves from the Smith home to the Black home. So I go in and change the location. Now the previously removed dates are back and I have to remove them again!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ninadawn wrote:I would like the ability to update all instances of a recurring event without screwing up customization of specific instances.

For example, our ward choir meets most Sundays at the same time. Occasionally, such as General Conference Sunday, they don't meet. So I scheduled a recurring event and removed the instances that conflicted with General Conference. Great. Now the Smith's move and the location of choir practice moves from the Smith home to the Black home. So I go in and change the location. Now the previously removed dates are back and I have to remove them again!
That's not how it has always worked for me and continues to work (I just tested it again). After you schedule a recurring event, any exceptions you make (either deletions or changes to single instances) become mostly separated from the collection of recurring events. Any subsequent changes made to the entire series will not change those exceptions at all -- no details will be changed, and no deleted instances will reappear. I said "mostly" because the act of deleting the entire series will still treat any exceptional instances as part of the collection and they will be removed as well in that case.

The only time I ever see recurring events working the way you describe is if I also click the "Remove Recurrence Exception" button; that causes the recurring series to return to its original state with no exceptions (deletions or changes of properties) and then clearly deletions will reappear, because that's what you asked for.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”