Cisco 881 replacing existing firewall - Can i keep the same IP range?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
johnshaw

Cisco 881 replacing existing firewall - Can i keep the same IP range?

Post by johnshaw »

I'm wondering if anyone has run into this yet. I have a FHC that I'm replacing a failed router at, the FHC has 2 networked printers and I was wondering if the 881 can be configured to use the previous IP address range, so I don't have to re-configure my network printers.....

has anyone else done this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd think you have to go though Global Services Desk. There's some kind of pattern to the range and you need to keep in sync with the "bigger picture".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

thanks.... probably good to follow the new standard.. it's not much of a change anyway on my side, but every minute counts when the site is 1.5 hours away :)
bradhokanson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bradhokanson »

JohnShaw wrote:thanks.... probably good to follow the new standard.. it's not much of a change anyway on my side, but every minute counts when the site is 1.5 hours away :)
The 881w will get a new "user" subnet assigned to it during activation which is usually a /26. An additional "user" subnet can be requested but it will not be contiguous ip address space but it can be requested to be a larger space (/25) A "facilities" vlan can also be requested if needed. It will also not be contiguous ip space and will not have a dhcp scope attached but will be statically assignable addresses.
pete.arnett

Post by pete.arnett »

As stated by "bradhokanson"

you will get a new 10. network subnet, new DNS servers etc.

We have installed four (4) Cisco 881W so far, with three (3) of them being replacements for various reasons

The Cisco 881W installation took about 15 to 20 minutes

Then it took "LDS IT Support" (they were Global Services) about an hour to enlighten me that they had no access to make changes to Cisco 881W

That the network 10. address could not be changed and that I would have to update all of the networked printers, copiers, video IP camera and WebStat (A/C controller)

Also, the wireless (WiFi) access point channel used by the Cisco 881W could not be changed and that I would have to change other wireless access points (AP) channels to create a comprehensive WiFi grid in the meetinghouses
Thanks,
:cool:Your Fellow Member,
Pete Arnett
Sunny South Florida, USA

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”