Understanding another aspect of AMFA

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wrigjef

Understanding another aspect of AMFA

Post by wrigjef »

I recently printed out a copy of an I/E report for AMFA. The top line shows AMFA and then three lines of AMFA:subcategory followed by a total line. I had always thought that the top AMFA line included the subcategories but I guess that is not true since this amount has to be added to each of the subcategory amounts in order to match the total. Here lies the question. If AMFA donations and expenses should always be to and from a subcategory, what is the purpose of top line?

Another question one of our AMFA subcategories is called AMFA:REIMBURSABLE OTHER and it's used primarily as a buffer so the stake does not go in the red while we wait for another stake to pay into one of our regional AMFA accounts (we are an agent stake and act as a clearing house for certain regional evets). If the AMFA account at the top of my report (without a colon or subcategory name) is just another unnamed or unpurposed account, can I transfer it's balance into AMFA:REIMBURSABLE OTHER?
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

Currently, the top category is just a place for CHQ to deposit small amounts of interest from the AMFA subcategories. I can't tell that it has any other purpose except to distinguish AMFAs from the remaining Other categories.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:I recently printed out a copy of an I/E report for AMFA. The top line shows AMFA and then three lines of AMFA:subcategory followed by a total line. I had always thought that the top AMFA line included the subcategories but I guess that is not true since this amount has to be added to each of the subcategory amounts in order to match the total. Here lies the question. If AMFA donations and expenses should always be to and from a subcategory, what is the purpose of top line?

The top line is for funds that are in the AMFA category itself, and not in any subcategory. According to the documentation (in particular the training lesson on the Other account), we should not have any funds there. But since the advent of CUBS, interest is paid on the total of all the Other category and that interest is put in the parent AMFA category. See the thread Bank Interest Posted to the Other Category.
wrigjef wrote:Another question one of our AMFA subcategories is called AMFA:REIMBURSABLE OTHER and it's used primarily as a buffer so the stake does not go in the red while we wait for another stake to pay into one of our regional AMFA accounts (we are an agent stake and act as a clearing house for certain regional evets). If the AMFA account at the top of my report (without a colon or subcategory name) is just another unnamed or unpurposed account, can I transfer it's balance into AMFA:REIMBURSABLE OTHER?

There is no definitive answer on what to do with interest credited to the AMFA category. In the thread I linked to above, you can see a few different opinions, but I suppose your AFMA:Reimbursable Other account is as good as any other.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
daveywest

Post by daveywest »

The top level AMFA account is where HQ deposits or subtracts funds from your local unit that don't come from budget accounts.

In addition to interest deposits, stakes will see FHC media charges applied to this account. Our stake created a sub-category for member financed media orders where we credit the funds taken at the time of the order and edit the HQ generated charges to debit the expenses.
Bro. West
Assistant Stake Clerk - Finance (2 years)
Former Assistant Ward Clerk - Finance (3 years)

Return to “Local Unit Finance”