Getting Organized

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
office dweller-p40

Getting Organized

Post by office dweller-p40 »

Hi everyone,
I am a new clerk in a new ward. We started from scratch. We now have manuals, supplies, equipment and even a computer with MLS up and running for us! :p

Now what do I do ? :confused: J/K

Luckily both assistant clerks had their same callings previously. They are great! Also, I've gone through the training sites. This site is particularly helpful. I'm learning a good deal from it.

The financial records are OK, except for the lack of a budget.

Our membership clerk is really busy and taking care of most of the membership issues. We creating binders with membership info for the bishop. He knows what he is doing.

What would be really useful is any advice on organizing and tracking other information particular to the ward clerk. For example, an inventory system, organizing agendas and meeting notes, etc. What kind of custom reports, in MLS or otherwise, do you use to keep the bishop well informed. What print outs should he have updated regularly. I plan on making a smaller binder for the bishop with temple lists, action list and other information he will what to refer to regularly. He is one who needs a hard copy of everything.

I would appreciate any advice. Links to other discussions would be helpful. Any digital examples of what you use would be invaluable.

Thanks

James
opee

Post by opee »

office dweller wrote:I would appreciate any advice. Links to other discussions would be helpful. Any digital examples of what you use would be invaluable.

James,

This forum has a wealth of information. Make sure your assistant clerks also look at it so that you are not the only one learning the great things that are here. I have attached 2 documents that I share with my new clerks. One shows a suggested checklist of things to do annually, quarterly, weekly. It is a little outdated, but you can look it over. The 2nd document lists some resources that I have found to be helpful as a clerk.

Hope these help.
Attachments
Checklists Clerks.doc
(39 KiB) Downloaded 2922 times
Resources and Websites for Clerks 20070812.doc
(28 KiB) Downloaded 881 times
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

office dweller wrote:I plan on making a smaller binder for the bishop with temple lists, action list and other information he will what to refer to regularly.
That specific part, particularly the Action Interview List is the responsibility of the executive secretary. Do what you can to make it easy for him to do his job, but don't rob him of the opportunity to do his job.

One thing that has helped me from getting off track is to remember that organization is for others' benefit, not your benefit. For example, how you organize and label the files in the filing cabinet should be in a way that makes it easy for ANYONE to find and file things, not just you. You should strive to structure those aspects of your calling so that should you be killed in a car wreck (sorry for the extreme example) someone else could step into your calling and get up to speed quickly instead of having to figure out your rationale for doing things the way you chose to do them.

I have abandoned plans to do many things that I thought would be cool, helpful, and neat for the ward clerk to do simply on the basis of if I had to delegate it out to someone else, could I justify the training and maintenance it would require for the other person to do it "my way" especially if it was not required by the Handbook. Would they see it as just so much bureaucratic busy work? This has helped me keep things simple while getting the essentials done.

With that focus in mind, I revamped the way the ward was documenting and processing expenses (with appropriate approvals and in accordance with the handbook of course). My goal was not only to have that process make sense to me, but to also make the task simpler and intuitive for the rest of those that needed to be part of that process. It's not perfect, but this was part of that result.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Keep in mind there is no one right way to do things. The details of how things are done depends on the combination of strengths that each brings to the group and what the bishop decides to focus on.

For example:
jbh001 wrote:That specific part, particularly the Action Interview List is the responsibility of the executive secretary. Do what you can to make it easy for him to do his job, but don't rob him of the opportunity to do his job.
I would agree that its' the job of ES to schedule the bishop, but who runs the report off the computer doesn't really matter. In my case I've found it easier to run the reports for the ES rather then have someone else try to schedule time on the computer. Depending on the computer skills of the ES, he may find it easier to let me. Also, by my doing it, I can make sure it's done after I've entered the latest round of membership updates so the information is current.

To each their own.
opee

Post by opee »

RussellHltn wrote: Also, by my doing it, I can make sure it's done after I've entered the latest round of membership updates so the information is current.

For me, running off the Action List also allowed me the opportunity to see which forms needed to be printed for Baptismal or Priesthood Interviews...and the Executive Secretary and I could work together with the Bishop to make sure that we had covered all of the members and items necessary.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

RussellHltn wrote:I would agree that its' the job of ES to schedule the bishop, but who runs the report off the computer doesn't really matter. In my case I've found it easier to run the reports for the ES rather then have someone else try to schedule time on the computer. Depending on the computer skills of the ES, he may find it easier to let me. Also, by my doing it, I can make sure it's done after I've entered the latest round of membership updates so the information is current.
opee wrote:For me, running off the Action List also allowed me the opportunity to see which forms needed to be printed for Baptismal or Priesthood Interviews...and the Executive Secretary and I could work together with the Bishop to make sure that we had covered all of the members and items necessary.
And to me both of these strategies fall under doing . . .
jbh001 wrote:what you can to make it easy for him to do his job. . . .
Sorry if I came of too strong the other way.
office dweller-p40

Post by office dweller-p40 »

Thanks for all the advise. It helps tremendously. We are all trying to figure where our places are in this new ward. I want to make sure I am sensitive to the ES and Bishop to work off of each others' strengths.

Thanks again,
James
znauga

Action Interview List

Post by znauga »

As a membership clerk I have found it convenient for me to provide the Action Interview List at the beginning of each month. I provided a copy for the Bishop and his counselors because they each have interviews to do. I also provided a copy to the Executive Secretary because it is usually his task to schedule the Bishop's interviews.

znauga
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

For the Bishopric Counselors, I filter the Action and Interview list to just the Bishop Counselors interviews so they only have to deal with one sheet of paper (print the Single Adult interviews on the back side). The Exec. Sec. and the Bishop both get a full copy. Also, our Bishop has me print a monthly list of those who's temple recommends are due to expire for the counselors to take care of. That way, we catch those who "just forgot" before they go past the 1-month limit that requires the Bishop to interview them.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

davesudweeks wrote:That way, we catch those who "just forgot" before they go past the 1-month limit that requires the Bishop to interview them.
At the risk of forking the thread, I have to ask why you think there's a 1-month limit that requires a bishop's interview. I've never heard of such a policy. That sounds to me like a local policy in your ward or stake.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”