Examples of appropriate uses of other

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wrigjef

Examples of appropriate uses of other

Post by wrigjef »

I know there are certain policies about asking for members to help contribute to an activity. What is a legitimate use that I can use as an example in talking to clerks?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:I know there are certain policies about asking for members to help contribute to an activity. What is a legitimate use that I can use as an example in talking to clerks?
The policy is detailed in Handbook 2, Section 13.2.8. In general, activities are funded from the Budget Allowance, but there are a small number of possible exceptions listed there, such as an annual Scout or YW camp.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I think a great example for Other is bus trips to the temple. Each member going pays for a seat on the bus. If a member cannot go, they are refunded their payment. The donation is tied to a specific expense.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

wrigjef wrote:I know there are certain policies about asking for members to help contribute to an activity. What is a legitimate use that I can use as an example in talking to clerks?
The on-line training for the Other category dicusses two examples. While the on-line training is out of date and does not reflect the update to CUBS, the principles are still valid. The first example was a temple trip in which the members who wanted to go were asked to contribute to a fund for the travel expenses. The second was a Church magazine campaign in which money was received for a magazine subscription.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Perhaps you were thinking of what is acceptable Fund-raising activities? Section 13.6.8
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:Perhaps you were thinking of what is acceptable Fund-raising activities? Section 13.6.8
If you are referring to my post, my answer is no. Review the on-line training [url=http://javascript<b></b>:popWin800x600('/pa/e-learn/mp/other2008/index.htm');]Understanding and Using the “Other” Category (U.S. and Canada only)[/url]. The examples were not fund-raising activities. If your response was to someone else then ignore my comment.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”