Weekly / Monthly / Quarterly responsibilities for Ward Clerks

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
cougs

Post by cougs »

I swear I saw a post here somewhere that outlined a list of weekly / monthly / quarterly responsibilities for ward clerks, but I can't find it anywhere. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

I've checked the wiki and the "clerk training" produced by the church, but can't see anything like a task breakdown. If it's a post, I haven't seen it.

https://tech.lds.org/wiki/Ward_clerk
http://lds.org/pa/e-learn/mp/ward_clerk2008/index.htm
iamrkh

Post by iamrkh »

cougs wrote:I swear I saw a post here somewhere that outlined a list of weekly / monthly / quarterly responsibilities for ward clerks, but I can't find it anywhere. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

This post comes to mind.
cougs

Post by cougs »

That is really close, right idea, but the one I was thinking of had responsibilities for the ward clerk instead of finance/membership. But yours is also helpful, thank you.
jntchem

Post by jntchem »

cougs wrote:That is really close, right idea, but the one I was thinking of had responsibilities for the ward clerk instead of finance/membership. But yours is also helpful, thank you.
jntchem; greetings, the attachment provided is what you may be looking for, thank you
Attachments
CLERK DUTIES.jpg
(97.18 KiB) Downloaded 753 times
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jntchem wrote:jntchem; greetings, the attachment provided is what you may be looking for, thank you
That's a helpful list -- thanks for posting it. A couple of comments:
  • Division of responsibilities may vary from ward to ward (the executive secretary may perform some of these duties, or assistant clerks may handle them without participation from the ward clerk, etc.)
  • There's no longer a specific ward welfare committee.
  • The note about retention of financial records said "7 years"; that may be true in some countries, but in the US it is just 3 years plus current year. Consult your area office to learn the financial record retention period for your particular country.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jntchem wrote:jntchem; greetings, the attachment provided is what you may be looking for, thank you
There is one other item on that list that needs comment. Under "WEEKLY:" the list has
Assist the Bishopric Member in opening up the Tithing while Financial Clerk enters in MLS.
The companionship principle as described in the online training states:
The Companionship Principle
The companionship principle requires two priesthood holders to be actively involved in opening the donation envelopes, counting the money, and recording the amounts in the Church financial software. Having one person open envelopes and count money while the other person does something else is not adequate.
Having the financial clerk record the amounts in MLS without a companion watching or verifying while the clerk works with the bishopric member to open envelopes is not following the companionship principle.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
MGMims

Post by MGMims »

Do you have one for with the responsibilities of the Membership Clerk?
MGMims

Post by MGMims »

Do you have one for with the responsibilities of the Membership Clerk?

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”