Transferring Distribution Center charges to proper category (MLS 3.3.1)

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
khasay12

Transferring Distribution Center charges to proper category (MLS 3.3.1)

Post by khasay12 »

What is the best way to transfer Distribution Center expenses to the proper category such as YM etc.? A. The regular transfer procedure or B. Go to view/update expenses and change the category for the expense from Distribution Center to YM or whatever is appropriate and Save????
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

khasay wrote:What is the best way to transfer Distribution Center expenses to the proper category such as YM etc.? A. The regular transfer procedure or B. Go to view/update expenses and change the category for the expense from Distribution Center to YM or whatever is appropriate and Save????
It's definitely better to do option B -- edit the expense. That way the original transaction and the adjustment are all neatly tied together with the same reference number and date. Then when you do reports, they will accurately reflect the new categorization, regardless of the date range or any other filtering. And if you ever look at the expense in View/Update expenses, it will show the correct new category, so you won't have to wonder if you've already fixed that expense.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
khasay12

Post by khasay12 »

Thank you. That is the option I will use.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

khasay wrote:What is the best way to transfer Distribution Center expenses to the proper category such as YM etc.? A. The regular transfer procedure or B. Go to view/update expenses and change the category for the expense from Distribution Center to YM or whatever is appropriate and Save????
There is one thing I don't like about recategorizing the expense: you can't edit the purpose. So you will see the distribution center expenses in the corresponding category but will still have no idea what they were for. I think what I'm going to try here is leaving the DC expenses in their category and transferring funds from the appropriate budget subcategory to Budget: DC and include a more descriptive purpose. I can date it to match the original DC expense and the net effect is the same.

It requires a bit more comfort with MLS, so aebrown's is definitely more straight forward and has several pros over this method (transfers don't show in the view/update expense screen, adjustment is not as neatly tied to original expense)
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

I have recategorized all of my distribution center charges to the appropriate budget category. I just noticed that church headquarters has made another set of adjustments to bring those charges back to the distribution center category. Anyone else seeing this?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I saw that as well just before going on a 3-week business trip out of the country. I don't have access to MLS currently and did not have time to look into it. My attempt at following the suggestion to recategorize the expense had the effect of creating several odd transfers that will have to be researched to figure out where they leave us.

By career I'm a Quality Manager, not a finance person, but CUBS seems to me to be unnecessarily complicating matters... If it is not intuitively obvious to the casual observer, then it is not robust, yet.
LavaPhoenix

Post by LavaPhoenix »

I believe I have had a similar issue. Look at the following post that I posted.

https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... ter-orders
iamrkh

Post by iamrkh »

crislapi wrote:There is one thing I don't like about recategorizing the expense: you can't edit the purpose. So you will see the distribution center expenses in the corresponding category but will still have no idea what they were for. I think what I'm going to try here is leaving the DC expenses in their category and transferring funds from the appropriate budget subcategory to Budget: DC and include a more descriptive purpose. I can date it to match the original DC expense and the net effect is the same.

This seems to be a solution to a question I have: how do I handle a single DC charge that needs to be charged against two or more categories such as Primary and YM? For example, a DC expense is $30. Fifteen dollars of the $30 charge was for purchasing some Primary supplies. The other $15 was for some YW supplies.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

iamrkh wrote:This seems to be a solution to a question I have: how do I handle a single DC charge that needs to be charged against two or more categories such as Primary and YM? For example, a DC expense is $30. Fifteen dollars of the $30 charge was for purchasing some Primary supplies. The other $15 was for some YW supplies.
If the recategorization of DC charges worked correctly, you could recategorize a charge to have two or more categories; hopefully that bug will get fixed soon. But the transfer method will work with multiple categories as well, and as crislapi noted, that works right now, and allows a better description of what is being done with the transfer.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”