Please add export to vcard feature

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
ryttingm

Please add export to vcard feature

Post by ryttingm »

One thing I really miss in the new directory is the export to vcard option from the old directory. I like to keep an updated list of contacts in my gmail account, and the formatting of importing the vcf file vs the csv file is significantly better.
mckingsley

Post by mckingsley »

I agree. Also especially useful to export ultimately to the iphone, etc. The LDS Tools app is nice, but would be nicer to actually have the ward directory in a group in the actual iphone address book.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

You can export the directory as a csv file and then convert it to vcard using one of several free programs available. I found several with a google search but haven't tried any of them so can't guarantee anything....
mckingsley

Post by mckingsley »

Yeah I understand that, just wondering why they went backwards. They used to have vcard. If anything vcard is getting more prevalent today and easier to work with than .csv But csv is good to have as an option also.

Ideal case senario would be some sync like in the Calendar system.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mckingsley wrote:Yeah I understand that, just wondering why they went backwards. They used to have vcard. If anything vcard is getting more prevalent today and easier to work with than .csv But csv is good to have as an option also.

Ideal case senario would be some sync like in the Calendar system.
The new directory is not fully developed. There is a new release expected in June or July. Most of the capabilities currently released are just enough to provide a a reasonable capability. I would expect that the vCard will be included eventually.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

I just wrote a Perl script that can take the new CSV export format from the new Directory tool and converts it to vCard format.

This works much better when importing into Google Contacts for example.

You can find it at http://www.rodneybeede.com/downloads/LD ... 20vCard.7z licensed under the GNU GPL.
ctoddy

Post by ctoddy »

rbeede - It could be because I'm perl illiterate, but I can't get the script to work.

I do agree - we need the vCard back. LDS Tools is neat and all, but when someone calls me the fact that the number is in LDS tools doesn't help my contact list on my phone.
rbeede

Post by rbeede »

What doesn't work with the script?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”