Calendar Roadmap?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jbowne

Calendar Roadmap?

Post by jbowne »

The work on the new calendar is GREAT! However as I look at when to implement the new calendar within our stake with the least amount of disruption and confusion I see some missing components like resource calendar not in the new calendar etc... and can't seem to find a place that has a detailed roadmap of the new calendar (functionality and timelines).

Is there a place on tech.lds.org that has the roadmap of functioinality and release times for the calendar so that we that are looking at when to move to the new calendar can guage the needed functionality to a timeline for migration?

thank you!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jbowne wrote:The work on the new calendar is GREAT! However as I look at when to implement the new calendar within our stake with the least amount of disruption and confusion I see some missing components like resource calendar not in the new calendar etc... and can't seem to find a place that has a detailed roadmap of the new calendar (functionality and timelines).

Is there a place on tech.lds.org that has the roadmap of functioinality and release times for the calendar so that we that are looking at when to move to the new calendar can guage the needed functionality to a timeline for migration?

The Church doesn't make it a practice to publish detailed timelines for its software projects. There is also not a detailed roadmap, but there are several items mentioned on the Known Limitations with the Calendar page in the Calendar's help system. There is a major new release of the calendar planned for next month which should address many of those issues.

And regarding the specific item you mentioned of a resource calendar I would note that although there are improvements that can and will be made in that area, the new calendar requires a significant change in thinking (see A Cultural Shift in Scheduling). Sometimes when we look for exactly what may have been in the classic calendar we don't find it because the philosophy has changed significantly. Many of the reasons (but admittedly not all) for the classic calendar's resource calendar are now handeld in an entirely different and much improved way.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jbowne wrote:Is there a place on tech.lds.org that has the roadmap of functioinality and release times for the calendar so that we that are looking at when to move to the new calendar can guage the needed functionality to a timeline for migration?
There is no roadmap available to the community. The most we have is that 2.0 was planned for June as stated in the calendar help. That information was removed with no further mention of a new time period. The opening post in the thread Preparing for the Calendar 2.0 Release would indicate the earliest would be late July or August assuming no issues come up to push it out again.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jcevans

Post by jcevans »

Hi - What is the link to 'A Cultural Shift in Scheduling'? It does not seem to be a hyperlink
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

jcevans wrote:Hi - What is the link to 'A Cultural Shift in Scheduling'? It does not seem to be a hyperlink
I believe it's from the calendar help, here:
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jcevans wrote:Hi - What is the link to 'A Cultural Shift in Scheduling'? It does not seem to be a hyperlink
Sorry about that confusion. I fixed the link in my post.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

aebrown wrote:The Church doesn't make it a practice to publish detailed timelines for its software projects.

While this is true, and can see many reasons why they don't share their future ideas and plans, (because the roadmap is always changing...)

I don't think it is asking too much for those of us using MLS and the new tools at LDS.org to be given as much indication as they might have on future directions for MLS and LDS.org....
For example, if MLS on our desktop is scheduled to disappear anytime soon, I might begin to make different decisions then if I had confidence it would continue to be supported and developed along with LDS.org.

Return to “Calendar”