Builiding Schedulers Accessing Other Wards Calendars

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
copowells

Builiding Schedulers Accessing Other Wards Calendars

Post by copowells »

Our stake is in the process of ensuring all wards have properly migrated to the new calendar. We've spent some time explaining the changes in the role of the building scheduler and provided some initial training. However, one thing our building schedulers and stake clerk have not been able to figure out is how the scheduler can go in and update an event for another ward within their building. I've searched the forum entries and online help and I can't find specific instructions for using this functionality. I'm looking for a link to online instructions or details on how to access this within the tool so we can give instructions to our schedulers. Thanks!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

copowells wrote:Our stake is in the process of ensuring all wards have properly migrated to the new calendar. We've spent some time explaining the changes in the role of the building scheduler and provided some initial training. However, one thing our building schedulers and stake clerk have not been able to figure out is how the scheduler can go in and update an event for another ward within their building. I've searched the forum entries and online help and I can't find specific instructions for using this functionality. I'm looking for a link to online instructions or details on how to access this within the tool so we can give instructions to our schedulers. Thanks!
Any calendar editor, including building schedulers, can show all the events in a particular building by checking the box for that building under Subscribed Locations. See View Calendars of Other Wards in the help system for details.

When the building scheduler is looking at the events for the building (either month view or week view), he can simply click on the event to edit it. There's nothing special about how the building scheduler does this -- it works just like any other calendar editor. When you click on the event, if you have permissions to edit, you will be able to make changes and then save the changed event.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
copowells

Accessing Other Ward Calendars

Post by copowells »

Thanks for the quick response! I went in and selected a building and now realize I do see a few entries for other wards; I anticipated seeing many more entries for the other wards. Is it only events with building resources assigned that show up in the view?

Also, does a building scheduler have the ability to enter new events for other wards or can they only edit existing entries?

Thanks for your help.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

copowells wrote:Thanks for the quick response! I went in and selected a building and now realize I do see a few entries for other wards; I anticipated seeing many more entries for the other wards. Is it only events with building resources assigned that show up in the view?

A building scheduler can only see events that use resources that are in the assigned building (and of course any that he can see in his own ward and stake events, just like any regular member of his ward).

So if you're only seeing a few events, that is because the other ward's aren't entering many events, or their events don't use resources in that building, or they are neglecting to schedule resources for their events.
copowells wrote:Also, does a building scheduler have the ability to enter new events for other wards or can they only edit existing entries?
They can add new events for other wards, as long as the event uses a resource in the assigned building. The challenge with doing this is that it's difficult to pick the right calendar. Calendars for multiple wards often have the same name; Ward A's "Elders Quorum" calendar looks exactly like Ward B's "Elders Quorum" calendar. So that can be a bit tricky. In general, it works better to let wards do the original scheduling, and the building scheduler may need to make some adjustments to existing events.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
malewis22062

Post by malewis22062 »

Excellent suggestion. I get calls however where the member does not have a computer, does not have an LDS.org account or feels uncomfortable doing the entry themselves. As a solution, it seems to me that if each Ward were to name their calendars with a prefix for their ward, e.g. "LV Relief Society" versus "LS Relief Society" then I, as the Building Scheduler, could add the event to their ward calendar. I have done this with my ward with no issue. Now just need to get other wards to do the same for their calendars and I think I'm set!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

malewis22062 wrote:Excellent suggestion. I get calls however where the member does not have a computer, does not have an LDS.org account or feels uncomfortable doing the entry themselves. As a solution, it seems to me that if each Ward were to name their calendars with a prefix for their ward, e.g. "LV Relief Society" versus "LS Relief Society" then I, as the Building Scheduler, could add the event to their ward calendar. I have done this with my ward with no issue. Now just need to get other wards to do the same for their calendars and I think I'm set!
Hopefully your suggestion will be a temporary solution. The 2.0 calendar release may have a fix. We won't know until it is released. But we do know that it has been identified as a limitation (see the bullet eight in Known Limitations with the Calendar).
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

This may be a dumb question, but I cannot find "Building Scheduler" as a standard calling in our Ward MLS. We are the agent ward this year so our Calendar Coordinator is the Building Scheduler. As a workaround, I gave him individual access to all our ward's calendars, but suspect that won't do anything for the other ward and branch that share the building with us.

Is "Building Scheduler" a Stake calling or is it called something else in MLS?

Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

davesudweeks wrote:This may be a dumb question, but I cannot find "Building Scheduler" as a standard calling in our Ward MLS.

Unlike most other features in the Church's web applications, Building Scheduler is not related to any standard calling. Instead, a stake approver has to set up the Building Scheduler by name for a particular location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Building scheduler as used in the new calendar is currently not an MLS position but a designation made by a stake default approver when setting up or editing locations. While a person may be called to the position of building scheduler and entered into MLS as such, there currently is no electronic connection from MLS to the calendar designation.

You would need to contact a stake default approver to get the individual designated as a building scheduler for a location changed. As a side note; there can be more than one building scheduler for a location.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Great! Thanks. Now, if I can just figure out who the "stake default approver" is, we'll be all set. Our Stake Exec. Secretary is in our ward and he probably knows (might even be him, based on my prior conversations with him regarding resources).

Return to “Calendar”