Callings are still showing up after record moves

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jwerrett

Callings are still showing up after record moves

Post by jwerrett »

Hello,

I am the ward clerk and I have two instances of records that have been moved into a different ward, but the member still shows up on lds.org directory as having a calling in my ward. I have gone through MLS digging through the calling for the organization and Out of Unit Callings and I am unable to seen any record stating that the person has a calling in my MLS database.

Has the calling been stuck on the record and moved into the new ward, possibly showing in their Out of Unit Callings, or am I missing some menu in MLS that will fix all my problems.

Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jwerrett wrote:Has the calling been stuck on the record and moved into the new ward, possibly showing in their Out of Unit Callings, or am I missing some menu in MLS that will fix all my problems.

You might try the procedure described in Correcting duplicate or missing callings; it's a somewhat different scenario, but it's conceivable that the same procedure might help in your case.

If that doesn't work, you can use the feedback link in CDOL to request a change (I'm sure the callings are in CDOL if you're seeing them on the directory on lds.org).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

How recently did the record move out? There is a lag time of up to 2 days after a change in MLS before it appears in the directory. I also seem to remember some quirks in the system until the new Ward accepts the record I into their MLS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Currently CDOL relies on MLS to sent the releases as people move out. As mentioned, if the move out was recent, depending on how the move out was initiated the callings can remain in the ward (online) while the membership records have moved on (online).
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

I have had some persist for weeks after (bishop & ward clerk, specifically). They cleaned up after doing a membership refresh request.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Also, MLS seems to hold onto some callings even after a record has moved out. It removes the hyperlink on the name, but the person is still listed in the calling. I seem to remember this was a feature request in response to complaints about callings automatically being removed when a record left the ward. The easiest way to fix this is remove the calling in MLS or replace the person with the new person.
jwerrett

Post by jwerrett »

Both records that I am seeing this one we are talking months. Members of our ward don't use the website so I normally don't hear if anything odd is occurring.

The first record was brought to my attention by the bishop of the new ward. The odd thing with this person is that the calling isn't their most recent. It is the one just before the latest. The bishop told me that on their directory it says this member is serving in a calling on my ward. I recommended that they look through the Out of Unit Callings a couple weeks ago, but the calling still shows on my list also, so I'm guessing it didn't work. BTW, the persons name is a hyperlink and when I click it the directory tries to load the person's name and produces this error "Sorry, data is temporarily not available for this application. Please try again later."

The Second person was brought to my attention due to a new Stake music person wanting to get organized. The person was our sacrament meeting chorister and has been replaced, but looking at the calling list online, it looks like different MLS calling may have been used. I will look into putting the current chorister into the other calling name also, guess I need to make sure I used the calling in MLS with the gold star.

While looking at some of the documentation for the directory, would a Request Unit Refresh Data possible help? I looks like it helps when the directory has information that hasn't been updated in MLS but as long as information is being updated I figured its a possibility. Otherwise from what Crislapi's post, I think I will try the Request Unit Refresh Data thing and make sure that the entries for these callings are not sitting blank in case that has something to do with the problem.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jwerrett wrote:Would a Request Unit Refresh Data possible help?

A data refresh is a key step in the Correcting duplicate or missing callings procedure I linked to in my first response to you. So yes, it would indeed have a good chance of helping.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
sethhill

Post by sethhill »

aebrown wrote:A data refresh is a key step in the Correcting duplicate or missing callings procedure I linked to in my first response to you. So yes, it would indeed have a good chance of helping.

Had a question on this and wanted to see if you had any suggestions. We have two elders quorums showing up under the new.lds website and one of them has people who have been out of the ward for months. We at one time did have two quorums but they got combined. We tried the procedure you suggested but the elders quorum still shows up there. It does not show up in the callings list on the ward computer though.
Any ideas? Thank you!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

sethhill wrote:Had a question on this and wanted to see if you had any suggestions. We have two elders quorums showing up under the new.lds website and one of them has people who have been out of the ward for months. We at one time did have two quorums but they got combined. We tried the procedure you suggested but the elders quorum still shows up there. It does not show up in the callings list on the ward computer though.
The thread Callings wrong after deleting RS organization deals with a somewhat similar topic regarding the deletion of a second Relief Society. It covers callings instead of people, but it's clear from that thread that MLS and CDOL have problems dealing with the deletion of a second quorum or RS. These problems would be reflected in the membership and leadership lists on lds.org. The last post in that thread does give hope that the problem will be fixed soon.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”