Export HT data

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
n8crocker

Export HT data

Post by n8crocker »

Is there a way to export HT reports (households assigned, companionships, reports, etc) in csv format without the need for admin rights? I currently serve as HPGL and like to keep this information on my ipad rather than lugging around my binder but everytime I want an update I have to get a member of the bishopric to export the file and email it to me.

Is there an alternative?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Our HPGL has an account on the MLS computer at the church. You can download from MLS if you have an account. I don't think you can get access to this information through LDS.org yet, but I believe it is on the list to roll out for you to access.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The export of home teaching data requires admin rights to accomplish. There currently is no alternative. Your only option is to print the reports since you cannot export the data.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You could print it to PDF.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Yes, there are options

Post by kisaac »

Welcome to your first thread natrx!
natrx wrote:Is there a way to export HT reports (households assigned, companionships, reports, etc) in csv format without the need for admin rights?
First of all, I assume you are talking about exports from MLS in your clerks office, and not LDS.org, and you have a user account to use MLS. MLS Export of reports without obtaining rights? I doubt it.
natrx wrote:Is there an alternative?
Yes- they just aren't called "export." Some claim they aren't for the "faint of heart," or "easily discouraged," but I think they are powerful. Several options:

1) Copy to Clipboard (or file,) then Paste (or open)
From most MLS regular data screens you access, before you print or preview, call up your requested data as you need it, then use the "edit->copy to clipboard" or "edit->copy to file" option. It will copy the data you see on the screen, in CSV.

Or try these keyboard shortcuts referenced in the wiki. I haven't tried them.
In most reports or screens in MLS that contain tabular data, the following keystrokes will work. Generally you need to click on a row of the report before you attempt to copy or save the data.
  • Ctrl+C: Copy the current row to the Windows clipboard.
  • Ctrl+Shift+C: Copy the entire report to the Windows clipboard.
  • Ctrl+Shift+S: Save the entire report to a file.
Paste or open the file (depending on your previous option) in your spreadsheet (I use openoffice-it's on the clerks computer) and format your data to your needs. You may need to play with the delimiter in your csv import dialog in your spreadsheet, to get it just like you want it, using tabs or comma's.

2) Create a Custom Report, then "save to file"
Create a custom report (see wiki) with any data you want, in the order you want it, and sort it as you want it sorted, then instead of printing it, choose the "save to file" option. This will be a CSV file for you to enjoy, as described in the above section. This is VERY powerful, and not well used by many MLS users, and will allow you the freedom to create your own reports by outputting data you select, and comparing and sorting and graphing it in your spreadsheet. I used this option and my spreadsheet to make fabulous home teaching analysis reports, all without any "export" rights.

3) Try CutePDF?

You could print any MLS report to cutePDf, then save or email them to your Ipad, if you don't need further manipulation, as RusselHlt suggests. If you want to manipulate it, you might try the "copy" command from your Reader app and paste it into another application. I haven't tried this option with MLS reports specifically, but I've extracted text from pdfs in this way before.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

kisaac wrote: Create a custom report (see wiki) with any data you want...
About the data...If you need data you can't access, talk to your bishop and the MLS admin to see what rights you have, and what the bishop thinks you may need. You may have the lowest rights, ORGANIZATIONAL, but there are higher levels that grant you access to other data, such as MEMBERSHIP. In our ward, most users have Organizational, but we've given the HPGL MEMBERSHIP access recently, due to some special projects his working on.
n8crocker

Post by n8crocker »

Thank you all! This has been a tremendous help. Hopefully I can talk our bishop into granting membership permissions. Until then, custom reports and saving to a file will do.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”