Out of unit support with LDS Tools

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
lhillman

Out of unit support with LDS Tools

Post by lhillman »

I am a YSA Bishop. LDS Tools for Android shows me only my home stake/wards. LDS.org correctly shows me both my home stake/ward and my YSA stake/ward. My stake president uses LDS Tools for iPhone, and it gives him both his home units and the YSA units.

So I have a few questions:
1) Is there a functionality difference between the iPhone and Android apps in this regard?
2) Is there a configuration issue that I can deal with on my end to get the YSA info?
3) Has anyone out there solved this problem or received information about it?

Thanks!
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

As far as I can workout, the Iphone version of LDS Tool, is in a far more advanced stage of development. So more options are available. However having said that, the data available is tied in directly to your calling/s as entered into MLS.

I'm an Asst. Ward Clerk, but also a STS.

As an STS I have access to all our Stakes Ward membership, whereas my Ward clerk can only see our Ward membership details. In the UK we are also restricted on what details we can see, because of very strict EU privacy rules.

1) Yes
2) Check callings as entered in to MLS. Standard Callings only.
3) See 2).

Hope this throws some light on your questions.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

Bishop is a calling automatically entered by the CDOL and not the ward clerk. Is the YSA ward in your home stake? It doesn't sound like it, which means the parent stake of the YSA ward you are bishop of had to create an out of unit record for you before they could add you as bishop. Pull up the record they created on your YSA ward's MLS and verify 1) there is one, 2) there is only one, and 3) that it is complete. I'm not sure how much info has to be there, but I know a couple bishops in my YSA stake use this app and it works fine.

Final comment - have you updated it recently? In the settings I believe there is a sync or download button or something like that to get the latest data for the units. One of our stake presidency member's apps had not updated since October 2010 so was obviously not showing the YSA info (got called in May).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

crislapi wrote:Pull up the record they created on your YSA ward's MLS and verify 1) there is one, 2) there is only one, and 3) that it is complete.

Complete - as in it has your membership number.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

crislapi wrote:Bishop is a calling automatically entered by the CDOL and not the ward clerk.
A bishop or branch president can be entered into ward MLS but will not be reflected in the stake MLS or in CDOL, and therefore any online applications, until a LUCR (Leader and Unit Change Request) is submitted and processed. The LUCR is used to add or change tier 1 leadership positions such as the bishop and can be submitted electronically from stake MLS. See Tier 1 versus Tier 2 positions in the Callings article of the wiki for further information.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lhillman

Post by lhillman »

Thanks to all of you for the responses. I believe that a LUCR was submitted since I show up in the CDOL as Bishop, and when I log in to lds.org through a web browser I have full leader access to all of my YSA ward members, the missionary recommendation system, etc. It is starting to sound to me like a deficiency in the Android app. Crislapi, do you know that the YSA bishops in your stake are using Android rather than iPhone? In any case, I will carefully inspect my record in our MLS system for completeness.
Miknmaur

Post by Miknmaur »

I use an application call Stake Central Free that gives me full access to my home ward and stake and YSA ward and stake. I serve in a YSA ward in another stake than I live.
The LDS tools only gives me access to the home ward and stake which is lame.
lhillman

Post by lhillman »

I did not see Miknmaur's response until today (July 29). I just dropped back in to mention that Stake Central in the Android Market is very similar to LDS Tools, with the notable exception that it works flawlessly with out-of-unit records. The Calendar is great, and the UI is cleaner in my opinion. I'm anxious for the additional capability that is rumored to be on the way with LDS Tools (pictures, additional information for leaders, etc.), but in the meantime I'm very glad to have stumbled across this other solution.
Miknmaur

Post by Miknmaur »

Glad it helped out. I with LDS tools would catch up!
burtonevets

LDS Tools for Android & Out of Unit Leaders

Post by burtonevets »

I am an out-of-unit stake clerk in a YSA stake. My wife serves as an out-of-unit family history center director in the same YSA stake. We are both entered in the YSA stake's MLS as out-of-unit members and can see both stakes' members and leadership just fine using a web browser logged in to LDS.org.

LDS Tools for iOS (iPhone) also shows both stakes' members and leadership.

LDS Tools for Android used to only show my home stake's members and leadership, but a recent update enabled me to also see the YSA stake's members (yea!). There's a strange quirk with the YSA stake's leadership, however. I can see all YSA stake leadership called from my home stake and from the YSA stake itself, but all YSA stake leadership called from other feeder stakes do not appear at all, leaving plenty of holes (for instance, only a first counselor and clerk in the stake presidency, only a second counselor in the stake Relief Society presidency, and only two high councilors--all of whom reside in my home stake).

I'm hoping that this is an easy fix now that it has been discovered.

Thanks to all who have made this LDS Tools app possible in the first place. :)

Return to “Android Member Tools App”