Calendar bug? Event notifications sending multiple emails

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
rgme

Calendar bug? Event notifications sending multiple emails

Post by rgme »

So, this morning my whole stake was surprised to receive about 18 notification emails about an event happening this evening. I'm suspicious there is a bug in the notification system. Here's our situation:
  1. An event was set up the weekend of the 6/11. It was scheduled for 6/15 @ 6:30 pm, and set to recur 11 times weekly (on Wednesdays).
  2. Notifications were set to "send later" (specified to be 12-hours before event)
  3. Last Wednesday, a notification was sent out at approximately 6:30 am. Note, only one notification email was sent.
  4. This morning, the notification email for the second event occurrence (tonight) was sent multiple times. The first email is timestamped the same time as the previous week, but then a total of 18 emails were sent through 6:58 am, at which time the website administrator changed the event to turn off notifications.
Our website personell in the stake created a private test calendar, added a recurring event, and tried to turn on notifications. I only saw a "wait wheel" when I tried to send the email. I set up a "send later" notification, and ended up getting two emails for the event. So something still seems to be wrong.

We're turning off notifications for the time being, until we can figure out what's happening.

Does anybody know what's going on?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

rgme wrote:Does anybody know what's going on?
There is a problem that has been reported and discussed in other threads. See these related threads:
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
rgme

Post by rgme »

Thanks for the reply. When I searched, I didn't come across those...sorry for any double-posting. These seem to address the problems with the send later part, but are they related to the repetitive emails? Those were the source of a lot of frustration in my stake.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The send email notifications feature of the calendar has issues in several areas. There are more than just the threads I listed that discuss the other email notifications issues. There is a significant upgrade expected to be released next month. I would wait to see if all or any of the email notifications issues have been addressed in that release since they are not putting any effort into fixing issues in the current release.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Calendar”