When are units getting WiFi?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
davesudweeks

When are units getting WiFi?

Post by davesudweeks »

Sigh...

Then there will be one more piece of duplicate work I'll have to do (both at the church and at home) for my calling since internet acess will likely not happen anytime soon here. Let's get worldwide (or at least region-wide) WIFI access up before we task ward leadership with another project they cannot complete with the resources available at the church.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

That goes without saying. The tools are great and very useful. However, their value only is as great as they can be used, and without the WIFI infrastructure, there can be no use of the tools.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Moderator note: This discussion was spun off from Submit Stake Callings Online
davesudweeks wrote:since internet acess will likely not happen anytime soon here.

YYMV, but ours has ordered the equipment. The only thing that should hold you back is if it's excessively expensive.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ryanhearn

Post by ryanhearn »

I was under the impression that all units in the USA were to have WIFI access ASAP. I can't remember where I read it, but the document had the proper procedures, and steps that should happen to get the ball rolling. I think the units search for the best price and choose the ISP they want to use, submit this to the FM group, FM group orders equipment, ISP service, and installs. If broadband is not available in area (that's the case with some of our units), they even had an option for cellular access. Our stake wasn't informed by the FM group, but after reading this, I had the HC rep contact them, and they said they currently had bids out to wire all the buildings in the stake. Now how long it will take for this to occour?? It is a wonderful tool, and I always love visiting a unit that has WIFI set up already. It makes my job so much easier.........
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

And therin lies the rub. "ASAP" could be several years out, or it could be tomorrow. All I know is we have heard nothing from the Stake or the FM group that this is even being considered. But, then again, I'm just at the ward level - we usually find out these things after they are installed, and sometimes only after we experience a problem we are trying to troubleshoot.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

In the UK, we were told that it could take up to a couple of years. Some sort of wrangling over equipment choices, and testing etc… Two units are going onto some sort of pilot - who knows how long we'll have to wait.

Thank goodness for 3G :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Moderator note: This discussion was spun off from Submit Stake Callings Online
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ryanhearn

Post by ryanhearn »

and I thought Alabama was always the last to get everything. Contact your Stake Clerk or HC rep over facilities and get them to ask. We would be totally in the dark if we had not got our rep to ask the FM group. Since then I have helped to install Wifi in one of the buildings in the stake. That makes 4 or 5 out of 12. Granted, these units already had broadband because they have a FHC onsite, but we are definately moving in the right direction......
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

davesudweeks wrote:And therin lies the rub. "ASAP" could be several years out, or it could be tomorrow.

Our FM group was asked last fall to budget for and install high speed internet access and WiFi in all of our building by the end of this year. We have an advantage here in that they will have to do something so that we will be able to hold our stake conference in October and broadcast it to other buildings. So that is when we will have it.

Your FM group may be operating to a different schedule and I cannot speak for them. I would suspect, however, that they have the same instructions. Your stake PFR (normally a high councilor) should know what is happening, or be able to ask and find out.
Aczlan

Post by Aczlan »

I was told that the goal is to have wifi and high speed internet (6x1 if possible) in all US stake based units (ie wards/branches under a stake) by the end of 2011 and in all US based units (including branches in districts) by the end of 2012.

Aaron Z

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”