Multiple Computers with MLS

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
BarryHill

Multiple Computers with MLS

Post by BarryHill »

With a ward or over 500 members we experience the typical bottle-neck at the clerk's PC on Sundays. It is made worse due to a fairly active turnover in our area. Between requests for membership info, updates, financial transactions etc. the clerk and 2 assistants are tripping over each other trying to use the PC. Is there ANY system for utilizing a 2nd pc for MLS?

Since member contact info can now be updated on the web, is it likely that MLS will become totally web based so at least membership records and callings can be updated online by the bishopric and clerks? It would solve the bottleneck plus our one assistant clerk had a 50 mile round trip to the chapel (fortunately I live much closer).

lastly, I guess another possible solution would be remote access to the clerk's PC. Is that possible?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

barryhill wrote:Is there ANY system for utilizing a 2nd pc for MLS?
No. This has been discussed many times; see Running a second copy of MLS in adjacent room in church building for an example.
barryhill wrote:Since member contact info can now be updated on the web, is it likely that MLS will become totally web based so at least membership records and callings can be updated online by the bishopric and clerks? It would solve the bottleneck plus our one assistant clerk had a 50 mile round trip to the chapel (fortunately I live much closer).

That's the plan. See the first FAQ in Leader and Clerk Resources Frequently Asked Questions, which says: "In the future, clerks will have the ability to generate and update membership and financial information online."
barryhill wrote:lastly, I guess another possible solution would be remote access to the clerk's PC. Is that possible?
It would seem to be contrary to policy. This has also been discussed multiple times on this forum; the most recent discussion was at Remote Desktop Connections and MLS.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Clerk Computers”