Child of Non-member parents blessed

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
BarryHill

Child of Non-member parents blessed

Post by BarryHill »

Recently the child of an investigator was blessed and given a name "upon the records of the Church" in Fast/Testimony meeting. I was surprised by the action since no family members have membership in the Church. My read of the church handbook indicates that permission is needed by the non-member parent if one parent is a non-member. It also states that children of members should be blessed. This leaves me with the impression that children without either parent as a member are not given a name and blessing on the records of the Church. If so, we could have infant records scattered all over the county in non-member homes.

Should I record this blessing ??? Upon discussion, the bishop conceded he may have read the handbook incorrectly. Members of the stake presidency also participated in this blessing so I an very interested in finding out the official policy on this matter.

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Official policy is in the Handbook and the MLS manual. Your local Priesthood leadership holds the keys to interpreting the policy. If they have questions, they should refer to their leaders.

This forum is primarily user-to-user help. The best I can expect is someone might be better at locating the relevant passages of the manuals.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BarryHill

Post by BarryHill »

I guess to be more concise, do I, or even can I, create a record for this infant in MLS if neither parent has a record?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

barryhill wrote:I guess to be more concise, do I, or even can I, create a record for this infant in MLS if neither parent has a record?
The "can I" part is easy -- yes, MLS will allow you to create a child of record when neither parent is a member. You can make the child head of household. Technically, you could even create a nonmember record for one or both of the parents, since the child is now a member of record -- or will be if you record the blessing ("A nonmember record can be created for a person who is not a member of the Church but who has family members who are members of the Church").

The "do I" part is much trickier. I think you've noted the relevant Handbook references, so it's up to the bishop and stake president to decide.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
BarryHill

Post by BarryHill »

aebrown wrote:The "can I" part is easy -- yes, ...The "do I" part is much trickier. I think you've noted the relevant Handbook references, so it's up to the bishop and stake president to decide.

Thanks for a good, clear answer. I'll let the Bishop figure out the "tricky" part. At least i am a lot more clear on how to handle it if he says create the record.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hopefully the investigator will join. That would simplify everything.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

There is nothing tricky in naming and blessing a non-member child with both parents as non-members. The instruction is found in Handbook 1, 16.2.4. I think the confusion or "trickiness" arrises in the understanding of the words "when either of a child's parents is not a member". This of course can be interpreted by local priesthood leaders. But I find that "either parent" would include "both parents" if both are not members. The process described in the Handbook 1 section would then be followed. The process is to make sure that a non-member parent gives permission and understands the followup actions the Church will take. When both parents are not members then both must give the permission and both must understand the actions the Church will take.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

I have a similar issue now. Divorced (or never married) couple. Father is a member but not in my ward. Mother is not and has primary custody. So I have a <1 year old head of household. One of the bishopric went to visit, not realizing that this was an infant. The mother was less than enthusiastic about a stranger showing up asking to see her baby. I know people have the best intentions, but few realize the situations they create when they do stuff like this.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

idjeeper2 wrote:I know people have the best intentions, but few realize the situations they create when they do stuff like this.

That's one way to take it. I see it as a warning to check the age, or at least verify it's an adult before making a visit.

As long as the clerk who created the record was following policy, I don't think we can fault them.

Return to “Membership Help”