Fractional Currency?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ckmcdonald

Fractional Currency?

Post by ckmcdonald »

In MLS, when entering donations, the "Currency" entry will accept a fractional dollar amount when, at least in the US, there is no such thing as currency less than a dollar,... that I know of anyway.

Why does MLS accept fractional amounts for currency?
Is this for currencies outside the US?

Seems MLS shouldn't allow fractional entries for Currency.
crislapi

Post by crislapi »

For clarification, this is in the authorization screen when verifying a donation batch, correct? When you click on the checks, and then enter the currency and coin totals?

As for why, I can't answer that. From a programming perspective, they probably just implemented the same code in that field as anywhere else (like in the coin field, which can be fractional). Agreed that it shouldn't, but then again, when counting your currency, you really can't count a fractional amount either. The only reason one would be entered is a typo.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

crislapi wrote:For clarification, this is in the authorization screen when verifying a donation batch, correct? When you click on the checks, and then enter the currency and coin totals?
No, not the authorization screen.... in the form when entering each individual donation. There's a place for Checks, Currency and Coin. The Currency entry will accept fractional dollar amounts. My attention is called to it occasionally when I erroneously enter a sum there for coins (most commonly happens on fast Sunday when my blood sugar is low and my brain is running 1/2 speed :) ). It gets caught at the conclusion of the batch when the Check, Currency and Coin recount occurs.

Admittedly, this is a minor thing. It just seems odd that the simple bit of code needed to disallow fractional entries hasn't been added. I keep wondering if there is a reason for legitimate fractional amounts and I just can't think what it would be.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

Been there done that.

The only thing I can guess is that it's easier for some other currencies to use a common code base.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”