can no longer view/print membership records online

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
geowizrd4zion

can no longer view/print membership records online

Post by geowizrd4zion »

even though it worked well for many months, in the last two weeks or so (since the last update??), we can no longer choose to "print membership record" -- doing so simply spawns an empty browser window. anyone else experiencing this?

(and yes, i'm properly logged in first and have the appropriate rights, that's not the issue).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The last update to MLS is version 3.3.2 just released this weekend. Version 3.3.1 was released on 18 February. I doubt that an update created the issue.

Printing a membership record or an IOS does not involve a web browser so this may indicate something related to the print driver or print command. What printer is selected in the Print pop-up?

If the issue is not related directly with the printer then it does not hurt to install MLS on top of the current installation using the installer downloaded from mls.lds.org.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
geowizrd4zion

Post by geowizrd4zion »

sorry, i assumed that by posting in the "lds.org web site/leader and clerk resources" forum that it would be clear i wasn't posting a question about a ward building installation of mls. so anyway, my question is about the membership record that can be accessed online (at home) at lds.org under the "member lookup/find individual by name" field on the clerk resources page (which had an update rolled out on may 26) https://lds.org/mls/mbr/index.html?lang=eng
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

geowizrd wrote:sorry, i assumed that by posting in the "lds.org web site/leader and clerk resources" forum that it would be clear i wasn't posting a question about a ward building installation of mls.
That was a reasonable assumption, but it's sometimes easy to overlook the forum when responding.
geowizrd wrote:so anyway, my question is about the membership record that can be accessed online (at home) at lds.org under the "member lookup/find individual by name" field on the clerk resources page (which had an update rolled out on may 26) https://lds.org/mls/mbr/index.html?lang=eng
I can print just fine from lds.org in Firefox or Chrome. But with IE8, it opened a new window and gave me an error: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". When I refreshed that page, or tried it again, it sometimes simply offered to save a PDF (and the PDF did have the correct content). It never showed the same kind of printable screen I saw in FF4 or Chrome. So it does appear that there is something flaky about IE8. But when I tried it several more times, it did the PDF save every time. I only had the error the first couple of times.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
geowizrd4zion

Post by geowizrd4zion »

ps. since apparently i cannot edit the title of my post, for more clarity, a moderator (or anyone else who can change it) may want to change it to

can no longer view/print membership records online at lds.org
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

geowizrd wrote:ps. since apparently i cannot edit the title of my post, for more clarity, a moderator (or anyone else who can change it) may want to change it to

can no longer view/print membership records online at lds.org

I added the word "oneline" to the original title. I didn't add "at lds.org" to keep the title length down.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
geowizrd4zion

Post by geowizrd4zion »

ok, thanks for the browser clue. it was ie8 i was experiencing the problem with, and upon retrying it, no amount of refreshing made it work for me. i then tried two other machines with ie7 and they both worked normally. then back to ie8, i discovered (jumping off from your pdf clue) the following workaround that appears stable: simply right-click on the "print membership record" button and "save target as" a pdf file. so i can get along with that, though it isn't very friendly for all ie8 users at large.

again, prior to the may 26 release, it worked fine and was stable with ie8, so this represents some lost ground compared to the earlier version...
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Interesting. I just tried it and got it to work every time with IE8. I was using the following in a VM...

Windows XP Pro x86 w/SP3 (fully patched)
Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702
Adobe Reader X 10.0.1

BTW, IE9/Win 7 x64/Adobe Reader X also worked for me.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gdbrown

Post by gdbrown »

I also found that I'm unable to print the records using Windows Vista, IE8 & Adobe Reader X. However when I uninstalled Reader X and installed Reader 9.4 it worked fine. So I'm assuming the problem has to do with the combination of IE8 & Reader X, since it works fine with Foxfire and Reader X. I'll now reinstall Reader X and see what happens.

After reinstalling Adobe Reader X I'm again unable to print the MR or IOS.

just checked on a Windows XP (SP3) computer with IE8 & Adobe Reader X and found that I can print MR & IOS just fine!

Just sharing my observations,
GD
gdbrown

Post by gdbrown »

The problem seems to have been resolved by an update, but I'm not sure which did it because I got updates to Vista and Acrobat at the same time and didn't think to install them one at a time.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”