Blessing Certificate Geograpic Information

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
simonmudge

Blessing Certificate Geograpic Information

Post by simonmudge »

When creating a Blessing Certificate it allows one to type in the location of the Blessing. How should this be formatted? City, State, Country? And should one abbreviate the State?:confused:
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

I don't see anything in the User Manual, and don't recall anything from any other source (although I would love to know if there is some kind of guideline).

On the certificate, I list the city, county, and state. To allow the certificate to pull from the record by default, I always time the entire state (Utah, instead of UT). I make a point of not abbreviating (particularly on the membership records) in case the record goes out of country. While in the US most people may know what WI is, those in the Ivory Coast likely do not.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nutterb wrote:While in the US most people may know what WI is, those in the Ivory Coast likely do not.

I see certificates as more for show. In that light, abbreviations seems a bit tacky (unless you're running out of space), IMO.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

I have encouraged all clerks I have trained to follow the Family History place naming conventions as used in new.FamilySearch.org of Town/City, County/Parish, State/Province, Country. For example:

Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States;
Provo, Utah, Utah, United States;
Tulsa, Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States;
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Oklahoma, United States;
Elwood, Box Elder, Utah, United States;
Vernal, Uintah, Utah, United States;
Evanston, Uinta, Wyoming, United States;
Ardrossan, Strathcona, Alberta, Canada;
et cetera.

There is an old saying: Don't abbrev.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

nutterb wrote:On the certificate, I list the city, county, and state. To allow the certificate to pull from the record by default, I always time the entire state (Utah, instead of UT). I make a point of not abbreviating (particularly on the membership records) in case the record goes out of country. While in the US most people may know what WI is, those in the Ivory Coast likely do not.
A child blessing record is a local record only. It is not stored at CHQ and therefore it does not move when the record moves.

Since the printed certificate is the only record of the blessing once the individual record moves out. For the same reasons as mentioned by others I would make sure the location information is as clear as possible.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
nutterb

Post by nutterb »

jdlessley wrote:A child blessing record is a local record only. It is not stored at CHQ and therefore it does not move when the record moves.

Since the printed certificate is the only record of the blessing once the individual record moves out. For the same reasons as mentioned by others I would make sure the location information is as clear as possible.

I'm aware of the local nature, but MLS will still pull the information in the birthplace field on the membership record as the default for the certificate when you print it. I guess my comment was directed less toward what to put on the certificate and more toward what to put on the membership record.
simonmudge

Thank you

Post by simonmudge »

I went with city, Santa Fe, state, New Mexico, but left out the county since it is also Santa Fe and would be confusing. It is of course recorded correctly in MLS. This was first post and I really enjoyed the feedback.

Return to “Membership Help”