Kindle Ensign Subscription

So you have the BIG idea that the Church or community needs to develop. Discuss that idea here. Maybe you just want to make a suggestion on a new forum topic. Let us know.
sesasha

Kindle Ensign Subscription

Post by sesasha »

There are a few books available through Kindle, including the scriptures, but it would be very convenient to have the Ensign and the Liahona available via the Kindle digital magazine subscription service, particularly since the Gospel Library Mobile applications don't have the current month's ensign available, at least not yet. Because of the Kindle applications on some mobile devices, as well as actual Kindles, this may be an effective way of digitizing the church's media and making it more convenient to carry.

Kindle Publishing
brentm

.PDF just does not work well with Kindle

Post by brentm »

Agreed. There is PDF. That is what 'they' expect you to use. However, the PDF version that can be used with the Kindle3 is almost impossible to read without a microscope. When you zoom the article, it becomes too cumbersome.
This is one of the big downfalls of the Kindle, love it as much as I do.

Mobi has always been slow, since they publish whenever they feel good 'n darn ready. MMS has been somewhat better. Somewhat. That goes for the rest.

Since this isn't PBS and companies have to pay for the products that we expect to be free, there isn't much interest. Notice that Deseret Book's Gospellink hasn't done a thing since 2000 for ebooks, and that was proprietary to an obsolete ereader.

You are in the wilderness, my friend.

Then again, with the Kindle's limited ability to show newspapers and magazines on a reader sized screen (typically 3.5x4.75) the trade off is obvious: portable or readable.

The Kindle is difficult as a scripture reference finder either. Just not what it was designed for.

I have to plan what content will be used and make a bookmark ahead of time.

The big benefit is that I can loose or destroy 5 Kindles for every iPad that gets toasted. With a cost to benefit ratio like that, I bring a notepad. :)

The point is this: With an inexpensive reader we aren't likely to find any whizbang apps that will make a Kindle an iPad.
gregdroge

Electronic Version of Ensign

Post by gregdroge »

You can download the latest version of the ensign at http://lds.org/handheld/newarchive/0,18 ... -2,00.html and then convert it to a format for your kindle using Calibre. (http://calibre-ebook.com/)
caevv

Post by caevv »

I agree, it should have kindle subscription.
smithrt

Post by smithrt »

Each month I produce the Ensign and New Era in the Kindle format. If you’re interested in getting a copy send me an email at zippitydoda@gmail.com
smithrt

Post by smithrt »

smithrt wrote:Each month I produce the Ensign and New Era in the Kindle format. If you’re interested in getting a copy send me an email at zippitydoda@gmail.com
I'm still doing this if your interested.

Return to “Ideas & Suggestions”