Turn off autoplay in an embed video from LDS media library?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
jackandrews

Turn off autoplay in an embed video from LDS media library?

Post by jackandrews »

Hi, I have a blog that I post a new "CTR" to every week. I've embedded a video of President Uchtdorf that autoplays, and I don't want it to. I can't figure out what to take out of the HTML--or add to it--that will stop autoplay. Ideas?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jackandrews wrote:Hi, I have a blog that I post a new "CTR" to every week. I've embedded a video of President Uchtdorf that autoplays, and I don't want it to. I can't figure out what to take out of the HTML--or add to it--that will stop autoplay. Ideas?
That's tough to answer without knowing how you embedded it. Is it the standard YouTube embed? HTML5? Flash? If you include a link to your blog, someone could easily take a look and tell you how to fix it.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russelljd

Post by russelljd »

If you are using videos from the media library section you just need to add a parameter to the embed. It is:

<param name="autoStart" value="false" />

The videos from the media library are served up using the Brightcove platform. You can read about setting player parameters at: http://support.brightcove.com/en/docs/p ... parameters
jackandrews

Didn't work...

Post by jackandrews »

The video is from the LDS Media library. It's "Reflection in the Water" by President Uchtdorf. I embedded it in my blog..."asmallandsimplething.blogspot.com".

I added the parameter to a number of different places in the HTML code, to no avail. It still starts automatically. Here's the link:

http://asmallandsimplething.blogspot.co ... bbish.html

Thanks so much!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jackandrews wrote:I added the parameter to a number of different places in the HTML code, to no avail. It still starts automatically. Here's the link:

Thanks for supplying the link. I was able to play with it and find the correct place to add the parameter.

Inside the <object> tag is an <embed> tag. The embed tag has several attributes; one of them is "flashVars". The value of flashVars is a rather long string enclosed in double quotes. Right before the ending double quote you will see dynamicStreaming=true ; you need to add &autoStart=false right after that and before the ending double quote. So the flashvars attribute will then look like:

flashVars="...dynamicStreaming=true&autoStart=false"

where the ... represents the existing value before the dynamicStreaming parameter (when I look at this post, there is a space between the s and the e of "false" but there should be no space there).

In my test this worked fine. Give it a try and see how it works for you.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jackandrews

Thank you!

Post by jackandrews »

aebrown...Thank You! That worked great!

Return to “General Discussions”