GLA always updating.

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
eddified

GLA always updating.

Post by eddified »

GLA v 2.0.1

When I go to read my scriptures in the morning, before I can read anything I have to wait because GLA displays this message:

"Updating content catalog. This can take a few minutes. Please wait..."

This happens every morning. Today, I noticed that it has happened to me twice today. Once this morning, again just now (7pm in the evening).

Is this intended, or is this a bug? It drives me nuts that I have to wait for a minute or two before I can read my scriptures each day.

Note that if I leave the app and come back within a minute, it doesn't try to update the catalog again. It only seems to happen after several hours of not using the app. Also note that I often (but not always) turn my android device off for the night, not sure if this has anything to do with how often it wants to update.
zulugrid

Post by zulugrid »

Same here.. Drives me nuts in church because I don't get cell signal, so it ends up timing out (takes FOREVER).
eddified

Post by eddified »

Until this behavior is changed I think I'll end up using a different app, Reveal Reader, to read my scriptures.
markjbishop

Post by markjbishop »

I never noticed that happening with the previous version. Only after I updated to the current version did I notice this happening and it's driving me crazy.
eddified

Post by eddified »

I propose that the updater only run once every couple of weeks. Or let it be configurable. Also, there would ideally be an option to not let it run the updates, ie, a "not now" button.
landr6

Post by landr6 »

You are lucky. Anytime I add any content or an app to the SD card-GLA can't locate any of the data. All has to be redownloaded and installed. I could live with the 2 minutes updating catalog if it would find it. It is still there. Had to reload 6 times in 3 days.
eddified

Post by eddified »

Something changed, I didn't have this problem today.... strange.
cottrells

Post by cottrells »

Still happening for me, the message on starting the app "Updating content catalog. This can take a few minutes. Please wait...".

It's not too much of a problem if I have a Wi-Fi connection, but if I somewhere with no Wi-Fi, no mobile data connection, then the application freezes and has to be force stopped. It would be useful if the catalog updates took notice of the "Only on Wi-Fi" setting used to control the content downloads.
landr6

Post by landr6 »

landr6 wrote:You are lucky. Anytime I add any content or an app to the SD card-GLA can't locate any of the data. All has to be redownloaded and installed. I could live with the 2 minutes updating catalog if it would find it. It is still there. Had to reload 6 times in 3 days.
I found I had a bad 4GB SD card. I have been using a 8GB SD card for a week now and it works.
cottrells

Post by cottrells »

cottrells wrote:Still happening for me, the message on starting the app "Updating content catalog. This can take a few minutes. Please wait...".

It's not too much of a problem if I have a Wi-Fi connection, but if I somewhere with no Wi-Fi, no mobile data connection, then the application freezes and has to be force stopped. It would be useful if the catalog updates took notice of the "Only on Wi-Fi" setting used to control the content downloads.
Thank you to the app developers who worked on version 2.0.2
Having more control over updates and indexing is welcome, as is the ability to change the home screen into a menu rather than a list of download options :D

Return to “Android Gospel Library”