MLS Financial Reports cannot be printed using duplexing

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
dajoker

MLS Financial Reports cannot be printed using duplexing

Post by dajoker »

MLS 3.3.1

Go to a financial statement and click on the Printer button in the upper-left-hand corner. The print dialog that results does not provide duplexing (double-sided) options at all. Other interfaces within MLS use a standard printing dialog box allowing customization of the printer, including duplexing. Is there a reason this isn't allowed for financial statements? Is this just some embedded PDF reader that lacks the functionality? A workaround is to print all odd pages, then reorder the pages to work again properly, print all even pages, rework again to make it proper, then hand it in, but that's painful.

Expected Results: System printing capabilities from anywhere in MLS.

Actual Results: Diminished configurability of print jobs for Financial Statements within MLS compared to other parts of the system or even other parts of MLS.

Please let me know if there is a better place to post this.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dajoker wrote:Expected Results: System printing capabilities from anywhere in MLS.

Actual Results: Diminished configurability of print jobs for Financial Statements within MLS compared to other parts of the system or even other parts of MLS.

I have been bothered by this as well. It appears that the MLS developers dropped in some third-party PDF printing component -- it doesn't look anything like the rest of MLS. Particularly now that financial reports are so much longer than they used to be, I really want to save paper on these reports. Not only does it save paper, but it takes less thickness in my files. A monthly CFS and UFS really start adding up.

So I have taken to printing to a PDF, then printing that PDF using the regular Adobe Reader, which then allows me to print double sided. Then I delete that temporary PDF. It's a hassle, but perhaps a bit easier than doing the even/odd page procedure.

That PDF printing component also selects the wrong default printer, and the wrong paper size (it defaults to A4). So every time I print a financial statement, I have to pick the printer and paper size again. These two problems have been noted before.
dajoker wrote:Please let me know if there is a better place to post this.
This is the correct forum. But as I noted in another response to you, this is not the place for official bug reports.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

Duplex printing can be done easily by setting up (ADD PRINTER in Windows ControlPanel) a second print driver for your printer whose properties are set for duplexing. Then, by renaming your first print driver to something like "HPLJ-SingleSided" and naming the second print driver "HPLJ-DoubleSided", the selection is simple and applys to all programs!

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”