New Stake Clerk

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
JamesRowley

New Stake Clerk

Post by JamesRowley »

I'm a relatively new Stake Clerk. I have never been a clerk of any kind before. I was wondering if there was some in-depth online training or training that I could attend to get me up to speed on this busy calling. I’m really enjoying the what I’ve learned so far, I would like to learn more o that I could train other clerks to be effective in their callings
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

jamesrowley wrote:
I'm a relatively new Stake Clerk. I have never been a clerk of any kind before. I was wondering if there was some in-depth online training or training that I could attend to get me up to speed on this busy calling. I’m really enjoying the what I’ve learned so far, I would like to learn more o that I could train other clerks to be effective in their callings
If you go to clerk.lds.org, there's a wealth of information there, including a very nice training link on the left.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JamesRowley

Post by JamesRowley »

Thank you Mike for the link...One other question. Like in many stakes, were having trouble with members still using the old stake calendar. In fact Sunday I had a few High Councilmen that were getting complaints from ward members that were looking at the old calendar when I only update the new calendar.

Is their a way to change the link of the old calendar to default to the new one?

Jim
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jamesrowley wrote:Is their a way to change the link of the old calendar to default to the new one?

Yes, there is. See this thread.
jbb89777

Post by jbb89777 »

As stake web admin I had to go around to all the unit clerks and help them clean up the MLS system for our stake to begin using the new lds.org calendars (classic lds.org calendars are going to be retired at the end of 2011). We have 6 wards, a branch and the stake. I made 8 appts and helped each clerk to clean up MLS. I don't know how many other web admins are doing this, but it helps make the calendar transition smoother if everyone is entered into their callings the correct way.

In MLS: Definitely have every calling entered using a "Star" Standard Calling. Print your list of callings first then 1) Delete out as many custom callings (with the red dots next to them) that you can and 2) Reenter calling information using your printout and only plugging in people to the Star standard callings.

This will greatly help as your stake starts to use the new calendar tool on the new lds.org. The new calendar pulls calling information for each person from MLS and gives each person rights to certain calendars based on their calling being entered correctly with a STAR next to their calling in the MLS system.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jbb89777 wrote:As stake web admin I had to go around to all the unit clerks and help them clean up the MLS system for our stake to begin using the new lds.org calendars (classic lds.org calendars are going to be retired at the end of 2011). We have 6 wards, a branch and the stake. I made 8 appts and helped each clerk to clean up MLS. I don't know how many other web admins are doing this, but it helps make the calendar transition smoother if everyone is entered into their callings the correct way.

There are plenty of good reasons to have the correct callings in MLS. Access to the calendar is just one -- I could list several more. Ward clerks should already be doing this on their own initiative, and the stake clerk should be making sure they know how and are doing this properly. But any impetus for cleaning up this data is good, so if you as stake web administrator have been able to help some ward clerks this way, then that's a great service.
jbb89777 wrote:In MLS: Definitely have every calling entered using a "Star" Standard Calling. Print your list of callings first then 1) Delete out as many custom callings (with the red dots next to them) that you can and 2) Reenter calling information using your printout and only plugging in people to the Star standard callings.

A much better way to accomplish this is to use the Custom Positions Review tool under Organizations. That will preserve the Date Sustained, the Set Apart flag, and the assignment. It will save a lot of time over the manual procedure you suggested. You don't even need to print out the callings first, since only the custom callings are included, and all the information is preserved.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The Custom Positions Review tool is good, but one also needs to look over all the callings to make sure it's up to date, no one missing, etc.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Related to this is for the Stake to add all Stake Callings in Stake MLS. I have numerous members of our ward assigned custom positions (Seminary Teacher, Stake Aux presidency member, etc) because they are still not showing up as a Stake-assigned calling.

In looking last week, I did spot 2 that are now listed twice so my whining to the Stake Clerk is getting somewhere. :p

We are all busy, but updating for Stake Callings is something I cannot do as Ward Clerk...

Return to “Calendar”